Transmission fluid change question

cubsfan24

Hello, I found this site yesterday and have fallen in love. Anyway, I have a 96 Chevy Lumina with 142k. The transmission fluid was getting fairly brown-ish and I have heard you do not want to change the fluid because it might do more harm than good since I do not know the maintenance history on this vehicle. The only issue the transmission has is that it shifts a little hard into second (which I have read on here that it is normal to do this). I have suctioned out about 3 quarts of old fluid and replaced with new. The color of the fluid looks more redish now and it shifts better into second. Do you think it would be a wise thing to drop the pan to change the filter? If so should I only add a couple more new quarts and fill the rest with the fluid that I take out? BTW I have been using Valvoline Dexron III 75k+ fluid. Thanks for any advice!

*I* would not hesitate to do a pan drop.

It's easy to do YOURSELF, replaces about 50% of the current fluid in the trans and most importantly, gives you a "look inside" (in other words, you can see if you have excess clutch material in the bottom of the pan, any extra metal on the pan magnet, and the option to cut open the filter and look for crap in there too).

Just be sure to get a quality filter and gasket (it's hard to beat the factory for this stuff), and 7-8qts of Dex III on hand.

Oh............and be SURE to get the fluid level correct. Add 6 qts after the pan drop. Then run at idle until operating temp and check the fluid level (level is checked at idle in "P" after cycling the gear selector through all it's positions). If it's within range, go drive it for 10-15 mins, come back and check it again (now at FULL operating temp).

Pretty basic, and it gives you an idea of how the tranny is really doing................

BTW............do NOT add any fluid additives.

No "shudderguard" or "conditioners" or any of that crap. They are just band-aids, and usually cause more problems than they are worth (unless you are just trying to limp an already junk tranny by for a short period).

Just a name brand Dexron III (or Dex VI which superceeds [spelling?] III).

Hey, thanks for the responses. I went ahead and bought a filter and some fluid. The Valvoline MaxLife went up in price since I bought it last week. It cost me $15.38 for a gallon jug and that was the sale price. One shelf price said it was $18! It was only $4 a quart last week. Anyway I am going to try to do it this weekend if it isn't to hot or raining.

straight dex III if you can find it, like the standard Pennzoil. How is Dex VI been for the older tranny's anyway? The synthetic Dex III that used to be around years ago would sometimes cause slippage.

I've also had good luck with Purolator trans filters. Remember to save and re-use your pan gasket as it was designed to.

For me, the filter O-ring is usually stuck on. You can CAREFULLY slide a flathead hammer wrapped in electrical tape under it and CAREFULLY hammer the o-ring into a C shape. Then you can use plyers and pull! Don't scratch any of the metal mating surface though. Other than that, its really straight forward. Just remember to lay down some garbage bags b/c it will be messy.

Filter and fluid is ok, just never get it flushed is what I always heard. I had my filter changed and they also flushed my 94 at 124k, he also said he found some minor shavings, but nothing he would worry about. 2 weeks later the transmission grenaded itself, may be just a coincidence, but it showed no signs of going at all. It only shifted into 2nd hard after the flush, and once or twice hard enough to chirp the the tires. Then one day I went to back up with my foot on the brake, car stopped, I went fron OD to N to R and bang the reverse gear exploded and you could hear the chunks floating around and shit clunking.

Hey guys, I got around to changing the fluid today. I made a huge mess but it wasn't that bad. I think the fluid has been changed at least once before because the gasket was not the OEM gasket. That filter gave me a little trouble but I finally wiggled it off. The magnet had some metal shavings but it mostly had some slimy nasty stuff on it. I put all those screws back in and filled it with 6 quarts. I let it idle for a while and took it to get some gas. It cost more to get a half tank of gas than it did to do the filter/fluid change :eek:. When I got back I checked the level of the fluid and it looked a tad low so I added another half quart. I think it is between the hash marks but it is hard to tell. Does 6.5 quarts sound about right? Now I hope it doesn't decide to commit suicide because it liked the old fluid/filter better :lol:.

The magnet had some metal shavings but it mostly had some slimy nasty stuff on it.

That slimy stuff is really really fine shavings. You'll always have shavings, its the nature of the beast.

Now you know why I recommend placing a large trash bag on the floor. Makes clean up much easier.

When I changed mine recently (haven't driven the car yet) I had some nice black film everywhere, and the magnet didn't have that much on it. I don't know if that's 195k for you or what.

I put Dexron VI it's supposed to be backwards compatible so we shall see.

• 4 years later...

:roll:

When you change the filter, they give you a small buhsing that goes into the valvebody of the trans. If the current one in there is not damaged, do not remove it! Ive seen ppl mess that up time and time again.

So if the filter neck fits nice and snug up into the bushing/seal don't replace it :think:

I've been reading that they can really be a pain in the A$$ to remove, and you can easily scratch the valve body up.