How do you remove the powersteering pump pulley?

gpchris

It's pressed on, that's why it won't budge. Most auto parts stores should be able to rent you a puller kit to remove it. Other than that, Harbor Freight and a lot of other online stores sell ps pulley removal kits cheap.

Damn you guys have it good.

When I bought a slightly used PS-Pump from a member here, the pulley broke on shipment. Local stores were selling the tool for $100! Had to bring it into a GM dealership to get their mechanics to pull it off. Pain in the ass.

Damn you guys have it good.

When I bought a slightly used PS-Pump from a member here, the pulley broke on shipment. Local stores were selling the tool for $100! Had to bring it into a GM dealership to get their mechanics to pull it off. Pain in the ass.

Hell, I bet the $100 tool was better than the cheapo loan a tools parts stores have...

i've rented a power steering pulley puller from auto zone many times with success everytime. just open up the plastic holder the puller is in and make sure all the attachments are there.

i've rented a power steering pulley puller from auto zone many times with success everytime. just open up the plastic holder the puller is in and make sure all the attachments are there.

^What he said. Just make sure its not trashed.

Harbor Freight carries the same tool(probably with shittier chinese made hardware) for $10.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40749

Anyone looking for one of those is probably better off buying the $25 part store version that most large chains stock....or you could just rent it and get your money back when you're done with it.

Is this for an LQ1 car?

This is for any engine. All 1st gen w-bodies should have the same pressed on pulley(even if they're not exactly the same, they're still pressed on the same way).

Harbor Freight carries the same tool(probably with shittier chinese made hardware) for $10.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40749

Anyone looking for one of those is probably better off buying the $25 part store version that most large chains stock....or you could just rent it and get your money back when you're done with it.

I have and used the cheapo harborfreight tool. For a few uses and for most pulleys, it's "okay". But, it is cheap and if you have a very rusty/tight pulley, it may not work. I agree, get one locally at store and save on S&H. Plus, harborfreight seems to take a while to ship.

Just curious, but why are you changing the pulley?

Often, some rebuilt units won't come with the pulley. Also, if you get one from the salvage yard, it may have the wrong size/type of pulley.

Is this for an LQ1 car?

This is for any engine. All 1st gen w-bodies should have the same pressed on pulley(even if they're not exactly the same, they're still pressed on the same way).

NO NO, What i meant was when my 3.4 Pump pulley seperated from the rest of it, I didnt have to unbolt the bolt or nothing, just moved my resevoir out of the way. I forget if the 3.1 is the same.

I suspect he's changing the PS pump. Most replacement pumps don't come with the pulley. You use the one from your existing pump and swap it onto the new one.

I'm not sure if this is why, but if the W cars are like my sister's car you have to pull the pulley off to pull the pump out of the bracket.

I'm not sure if this is why, but if the W cars are like my sister's car you have to pull the pulley off to pull the pump out of the bracket.

There should be some holes in the pulley for bolt access.