Dexcool vs. "Green"

Timm

Looks IDENTICAL to my septic tank.

I mean, it looks like someone ran their toilet water through the radiator before going to the main septic lines!

I'll probably stay with dexcool... my radiator is probably already like that... :sad: Too much work to get ALL of that stuff cleaned up...

Looks IDENTICAL to my septic tank.

I mean, it looks like someone ran their toilet water through the radiator before going to the main septic lines!

I'll probably stay with dexcool... my radiator is probably already like that... :sad: Too much work to get ALL of that stuff cleaned up...

Well like I said, its a matter of the kind of water you used. I also called my local GM dealer (highest selling dealer in Illinois), and they confirmed that it was the kind of water you use and that it has to be distilled water, as some places will just mix it with crap tap water.

dexcool has alcohol in it as well, so your bacteria theory is bullshit, it's back to microbiology and o-chem for you.

And silicone is a defoaming agent not a corrosive, we better make that back to basic chemistry for you.

Tell it to the instructors at the GM training centers in Charlotte, not me. Just passing on info. They said silicates are to keep the system clean.

they are instructors not chemists ,and if you look at the properties of Dexcool which some one was kind enough to post, you will find Ethylene Glycol (an alcohol) in there as well !!

Whatever your car takes.....use!

If its green, replace it every 2 years or 24k miles.

If its orange, replace it every 5 years or 100k miles.

In GM land most cars made the switch in 1996. Coolant needs to not freeze and protect metals from corrsion......I haven't see any form of tester that can test the second.

A lot of people think Dex-Cool eats gaskets............it doesn't.......its just a shitty gasket. About the time they made the switch to Dex-Cool GM had a lot of new engines out....and most people link the new coolant to the shitty gaskets....when its just the shitty gaskets. Green 3100s leak just as often.

None of the newer GM engines have the issues that the 3100s/3400s/3800s/4.3/5.7s do.......the 3400s in Equinoxs don't leak....neither do the 3500/3900s in the Impalas....or the 4.3 in base trucks. They have updated better designed gaskets.....all are rubber impregnated metal gaskets.

About the only common leak prone part on new style engines is out the water pump's weep hole on Gen III/IV V8s.......and *I* think its because its the most active part of the system (it is the only moving part in the cooling system other than the thermostat).

If you must switch make sure you get a complete flush (Wynn's has a good system outside of the additives)......don't let the two mix. The silicates in green coolant (remember, orange is silicate free and is an organic coolant) come out of suspension and tear up water pump seals.

I read somewhere that Dexcool and the green stuff..One has sodium, and one has chlorine in it.

Mix them...Sodium Chloride; salt. Salt probably isn't good for gaskets. :rolleyes: