Help me find the problem

alphagtp

As some of you now, my car has been down for the last two weeks, for the ones that dont know, here is what happened...

I was running my car on 2nd gear pretty fast, like at 4 or 5k rpms, then when it tried to shift to third the tranny went into neutral and the rpms went all the way up then the car died. since then the car wont start, it did started like 3, 4 times after the incident the same day, but the start was pretty weird and only ran for a few of seconds then it died, it did it like 4 times. After that I towed it to a safe place and let it sit for a week, finally got it home, and look at some things so far:

* the oil seems fine

* no smoke when it ran (after it died)

* look into the timing belt and it seems ok

* checked fuel pressure (I dont know why but anyway) it was at 40psi

the engine cranks but wont start/run anymore (I only tried a few times), what else could it be wrong, I guess the whole thing and the right question is what happens if the engine revs up all the way up?? what else can I check???

Maybe in the valvetrain? Compression test would probably show if anything is wrong. Any weird noises when it ran (after being killed)? A noise would be awesomley helpful in determining an engine problem!

the cam cogs move normally, no weird noises, it just revd up and down until it died, as far as how it sounds now, is just like when a fuel pump is out(that is why I ckecked the fuel pressure), it cranks kind of normal but it doesnt starts, how do I do a compression test??

the cam cogs move normally, no weird noises, it just revd up and down until it died, as far as how it sounds now, is just like when a fuel pump is out(that is why I ckecked the fuel pressure), it cranks kind of normal but it doesnt starts, how do I do a compression test??

There's a gauge that attaches to the spark plug holes.. You have to take out all the spark plugs and disable the igition system.. Then you attach the gauge to each of the spark plug holes and crank the engine over a few times.. At least that's always how I understood it to work..

OHM test the injectors.. I am willing to bet you toasted one or 2.

x2, and if not that check the ICM. If there is no spark that would be my first guess. It could also be the CPS (crank position sensor)

OHM test the injectors.. I am willing to bet you toasted one or 2.

How do I test them??

perhaps it jumped time? maybe the belt slipped when you revved?

If your fuel filter isn't clogged, I would look at the timing next.

maybe a dumb question but, why would the fuel filter be clogged??

p.s. Everybody needs to remember that I'm not that great of a mechanic :lol: I can do oil changes maybe :willynilly:

Since your mechanical skills are a little in the lacking area, Maybe you talk Slick into coming by you on his way back home. He will be going thru Kansas City..

Since your mechanical skills are a little in the lacking area, Maybe you talk Slick into coming by you on his way back home. He will be going thru Kansas City..

good idea....

good idea....

what I ment by saying that, was that you really need to specified what or how could I do it, I'm sure I will be able to do all tests if I get directed. I was playing with the oil thing, I'm not that bad :lol:

• 1 year later...

Okay guys, finally have the time and somewhat of money to get into fixing my car again!!! YAY!!!

little update:

I went and try to start my car again, and it did, it was idleling up and down but kind of stable, no smoke or weird sounds, just the up and down revs, after 5 mins of running it died and then it wont start again. Don't forget that this is after at least a year of not messing with it at all! when it was running I was able to even drive it out of the garage, now after it died it only cranks but it doesn't sound like it even wants to start just plain (normal) crank, I did checked the spark plugs and they were burnt, I replaced them and nothing, I'm going to try to do the other tests recommended in here. Bare with me now!

It was exciting to get in my loved car again!! :dance: now just need to make it work lol