1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible- Speaker size. Red/tan color combo?

JLMcFar

What sizes are the factory speakers? Second, has anyone had any luck maintaining the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit? If so, what was the set-up?

I just picked up a red vert w/ a tan top and interior. I've seen plenty of red/white and red/black combos, but no red/tan. Anyone else seen one?

A PAC interface will usually take care of your SWC controls.

I've documented 3 or 4 red/tan cars so far. They're pretty rare. Dark Teal Metallic/Tan was by far the most popular, then black/tan, then Bright Red/tan, then Bright White/tan, then Bright Aqua Metallic/Tan.

thanks for the quick responses. My next question is, I have the CD/Tape player with factory speakers. Once the top is down and at highway speeds, it's pretty hard to hear. Suggestions on upgrades? Head units and speakers.

What I did was keep the factory CD player, bought an adapter for the speaker wires to RCA plugs and put a 250w Alpine amp in with Infinity Kappa speakers. That way I have good/audible sound and still keep the factory look with swrc still working.

• 12 years later...

Does anyone know how the rear panels come out in order to replace the rear speakers on the 1995 convertible?  Replaced the ones in the front door with Polk DL+ 5.25's.  Kenwood head unit on the way.  Just need to swap out the rear 5.25's now.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:34 PM, ProfVP said:

Does anyone know how the rear panels come out in order to replace the rear speakers on the 1995 convertible? 

I've done it a few times, but I forget the details.   You have to pull the rear seat.   I don't remember for sure, but you MIGHT have to remove the screws that hold the cover on the light bar (need to lower the top to do that), removing that cover allows access to the screws that hold the top of the rear side panels (or maybe they just overlap, I forget how the panels all fit together).   Working in the back seat is easier with the top down anyway (assuming you're in a garage!).   There's a screw under the end of the sill cover too, but mine are broken there so I don't have to worry about it lol.   Then you remove the big Torx bolt that holds the seat belt guide.    I think that's it.    I leave the lower seat belt retracter thingie attached to the floor, you don't have to remove that.  Also you have to pull the carpet back a little, but I've cut away the rear carpet on mine due to it leaking water so much so I don't have to worry about that anymore either.   Are you keeping the stock speaker grills or replacing with new?   You might have to get a little creative to get the new ones to fit, or the stock ones to fit over the new speakers.  Also I hope none of your screws strip out when reinstalling, or are too rusted and snap when you remove them.  I've had both happen to me.    You may have to drill out rivets holding the old rear speakers in place.

I replaced my speakers about 5 years ago, it made a big difference in sound quality.   Also this year I installed a small rectangular amp/subwoofer box in the trunk.   It sits on the side, far enough forward so the top can still lower, with the opening facing towards the rear seat.   With the top down it's muffled, but with the top up it thumps a little for certain types of music.   Of course it's a noisy old convertible so really good sound quality which driving is difficult to achieve.      Wow I ramble a lot, lol.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...