rear end clunking

rockfangd

so recently i had my frame repaired again and had a new trailing arm installed on my driver side rear and all was fine for about 3 days and from there after the noise is now as bad as ever. About a month before i changed my strut mounts in the rear and that was how i found out that the trailing arm was bad.

Someone told me that my new strut mount is blown again but it appeared to have no problems when i installed it.

I changed the struts and mounts last year

I changed the mounts again 2 months ago

I changed the aux springs( Big rubber 8s)

i added monoleaf pads about 6 months ago

new trailing arm on the left rear about a month ago.

The clunking is very bad, almost makes me think the wheel is going to fall off everytime i hit any kind of bump, could a new mount be that bad already? What else can i look for? Thanks to all in advance

Make sure bolts are still all tight, check out the bushings on the control arms and sway bar, make sure the center support isn't rotting away from the car like I think mine are...

well everything appears to be tight, I do not have a rear sway bar.. make sure the center support isn't rotting away from the car ??/ Do i even want to know.

I do not know if tthis makes any kind of sense but when i have people in the back it makes no noise at all lol. I am going to hire a friend of mine to ride in my back seat so it can sound good again lol

I am having the same kind of problem in my 89 GP. I purchased a one year subscription to this website that gives you all the of letters from GM to the dealers on common problems with cars

There are articles that suggest noises in the rear like that may be the Auxiliary rear spring lower attaching bracket is not in full contact with the rear spindle rod, or the Spring tip pad is gone. I am still trying to troubleshoot mine to see what the problem is. I just bought two new struts because I was under the assumption that they were the problem, but now after searching that site, I am not so sure :(

• 2 weeks later...

ok so today i installed another strut mount on the left rear hoping for quiet and when i pulled the 2 month old mount out it still looked like brand new. I checked the operation of the strut which is not much more than 1 year old and it seems to work perfectly fine. It looks very good and nothing appears loose. I shook down the rear end and the exhaust and nothing appears to be loose, and the exhaust looks good.

What the hell could i be missing. I am afraid whatever is making the noise is going to break one of these days. I recently had a local mechanic drive the car and i was told that my new strut mount was blown but this is my third new one and it still sounds the same. And the sound definately sounds like it is coming from the left rear

I'm having the same clunking from the rear after new struts and mounts.. my trailing arms are "ok" at best, but they're still attached. I know the pads at the ends of the monoleaf are worn down to nothing/gone so hopefully after I replace those that will go away. It seems that you've already replaced those, however.

I've got the same thing though, when people are in the back I don't think it clunks at all IIRC, which leads me to believe it has to be something with the monoleaf (more weight/downward tension = less movement). My next best guess would be the control arm bushings (I know mine are dryrotted to hell) but that wouldn't explain it disappearing with weight in the back.

I still have to figure out what the clattering noise in the front is too.. new cartridges & mounts, bearing plates seem good.. almost sounds like the cartridge tops out and jitters against the strut cap but it shouldn't come close. Then there's all the caliper noises.. :lol:...

When you added the aux pads, you're sure the back got raised? Most people have reported it seems to be higher without them. Maybe the leaves sag more over time when not equipped from the factory, then adding them forces the leaf to bend a bit.

when i put in the monoleaf helpers it raised substancially. my rear used to sag so bad that the tires were almost up in the quarter panels. The pads raised it up about 4 inches and the car sits level now and rides much better. It just worries me with this noise because starting monday i have to drive farther to my new job every day and i cant take any chances lol

• 5 weeks later...

well i still have not figured this out, i almost want to change the strut but something tells me it is fine. When i grab the quarter panel and bounce the car up and down and i hear absolutely nothing. Also when i was underneath doing my gas tank last week i could not find anything that looked out of place :willynilly: I really want to get this fixed before winter but i am baffled with this

• 3 weeks later...