Engine Clunking... UPDATE 10/3, PLEASE READ

88red4cyl

Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do it today.. :( But I went out and looked at it, and I'm 99% sure the trans mount is bad... The engine on the lower mount area barely has any movement, but the trans is moving all over the place when I look at the mount areas.. So I cleaned some of the dust off the mount, and the rubber has all kinds of little cracks in it..

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88red4cyl

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• Addicted to eaton

• 4 weeks later...

I got the tranny mount changed yesterday.. It was a billion times easier than the engine mount to change.. Having never done it before, it took me less than 2 hours including the time to get everything set up, doing the job, and clean up... Unfortunately though, it didn't fix the problem, or even help it for that matter... The mount did need to be replaced (it was spider cracked real bad all over, and the bottom rubber was cracked all the way through in places), but the clunk remains... I still have to retighten the block bolts on the lower mount, but they look tight... I tightened the bottom bolts on the lower mount, and they took about a quarter turn each, but I ran out of time to mess with the block bolts...

Any ideas for me now? All the mounts have been replaced now...

Also, does anyone know a good place to get replacement rivets for the little black shields that go in between the wheel and the motor?

Will....I've got a phantom clunk too....only when going form gear to gear via the shifter.

I've got ALL new mounts, upper and both lower.

I have NO idea what it is.........it's more of a groan/clunk mix.

I need to get in there and double check the bolts, but they should all be tight.

.....I"m as confused as you.

Will....I've got a phantom clunk too....only when going form gear to gear via the shifter.

I've got ALL new mounts, upper and both lower.

I have NO idea what it is.........it's more of a groan/clunk mix.

I need to get in there and double check the bolts, but they should all be tight.

.....I"m as confused as you.

Mine seems to do it everytime torque gets applied/taken away from the motor... When I shift the gears, when I accelerate, when I let off the accelerator, when I hit bumps... It does it all the time anymore... And its so loud inside the car that you have to have the radio cranked way up to not hear it...

that’s what I meant was the CV. DO you get a vibration under acceleration like 1/2 throttle or more?

I haven't been looking for that, but I will next time I drive it...

• 1 year later...

Well, it's update time... When I had the LIM gaskets done by the dealership in March of 2009, the clunk was gone when I got the car back... It stayed gone until last month, and is now back as much as ever... I took a video from under the car of the engine movement, and you can hear the clunking sound when she shifts the car into reverse... I had her shift it from park to reverse over and over for the video... If I'm not mistaken, the subframe bolts are the big round things in the foreground, right? Anywho, I'll let the video do the talking and see if anyone has suggestions... BTW, the engine mounts were done in Nov. 08, and the clunk was still present after I did them (I guess I could have gotten a bad mount or something though...)...

I replaced the lower motor mount with a solid one from Auto Zone. I also replaced the tranny mount, and both dogbones (as well as their brackets on the radiator support)...

Isn't there another rear engine or transmission mount?

AFAIK, there's just the lower motor mount, the tranny mount, and the 2 dogbones...

AFAIK, there's just the lower motor mount, the tranny mount, and the 2 dogbones...

So what's holding the rear of the engine/transmission relative to the length of the car down (or up)? If it were just a front mount and a transmission mount, then your engine would fall down the moment you disconnected the torque mounts and they would have a constant force applied to them. :think:

So what's holding the rear of the engine/transmission relative to the length of the car down (or up)? If it were just a front mount and a transmission mount, then your engine would fall down the moment you disconnected the torque mounts and they would have a constant force applied to them. :think:

:dunno: The lower engine mount is in the back corner of the engine... There aren't any other mounts that I know of on the bottom except the lower engine and tranny mount...

Edited by 88red4cyl

there is one transmission, one motor, and two tq mounts on my GTP too.. no back mount, And yes when you unhook the dog bones the motor falls 1-2 inches back

there is one transmission, one motor, and two tq mounts on my GTP too.. no back mount, And yes when you unhook the dog bones the motor falls 1-2 inches back

Well I learned something today, lol. Strange that they would do it that way, but oh well.