OK SERIOUSLY EVERYBODY HELP!!!!!! UPDATE PG 7!

Night Fury

I hope you got somethin down there.. :)

Trust me, I have PLENTY down there... :lol:

that's what he said!

i would find a low mile car in the j/y and get them off of that.

Fixed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• Addicted to eaton

• pontiac6ksteawd

• 88red4cyl

OK THEN!!! Get a load of this. Because of you guys, and because it makes since, I told my dad it was most likely a fuel injector.

Rewind a month or so... I took it to our trusted family mechanic and I had injector in mind even though the problem was not hardly one... He told me the injectors "never go bad" and he was going to charge $80 just to look at it!

FF to yesterday... My dad made me bring it there. Well, It got towed. My dad laughed at me for thinking it was a FI. Sure enough, It was!!! The place quoted me $320 to replace ONE fuel injector!!!! BS!!!

So after a bit of gloating, we decided we will do it ourselves. So now I need more help!!! :lol: How do I replace a FI?

I have one!! I went all through it... It has diagnosis, but not how to replace it, that I could find!! Its the two BIG books too!

Maybe I am missing them? It would be in the first book, would it not?

Read threw the content’s buck, It should say something about injector’s maybe under fuel delivery. My book say’s fuel systems. Your car is MFI right?

Disconnect the battery. Then relive the fuel system pressure. Detach the injector electrical assembly then remove the fuel rail,then remove the injector retaining clip. Then remove both o ring injector seal’s and throw em away (your going to need new ones) Also you might need to remove the intake plintem to get axcess to it.

it's not the greatest but it was all i could find

See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Fig. 3: Remove the fuel rail, then use a suitable prytool to...

0900c15280067f30.jpg

Fig. 4: ... remove the fuel injector retaining clip

0900c15280067f31.jpg

Fig. 5: Separate the fuel injector from the fuel rail

0900c15280067f32.jpg

Fig. 6: Remove and discard the injector O-rings

0900c15280067f33.jpg

Fig. 7: When installing the injector, position the open end of the clip facing the injector electrical connector

0900c15280067f34.jpg

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.

3. If necessary for access, remove the intake manifold plenum, as outlined in of this repair guide.

4. Detach the the injector electrical connection(s).

5. Remove the fuel rail assembly, as outlined later in this information.

It may be necessary to use a suitable prytool to carefully remove the fuel injector retaining clip.

6. Remove the injector retaining clip. Separate the injector from the fuel rail.

7. Remove both injector O-ring seals from the injector and discard.

To install:

8. Prior to installing the injectors, coat the new injector O-ring seals with clean engine oil. Install the seals on the injector assembly.

9. Use new injector retainer clips on the injector assembly. Position the open end of the clip facing the injector electrical connector.

10. Position the injector into the fuel rail injector socket with the electrical connectors facing outward. Push the injector in firmly until it engages with the retainer clip locking it in place.

11. Install the fuel rail and injector assembly, as outlined later in this information.

12. If removed, install the intake manifold plenum, as outlined in .

13. Connect the negative battery cable and turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds, OFF for 10 seconds, thenONand check for fuel leaks.

Ok D-day is tomorrow!! What all do I need from Autozone?

I cleaned up the garage, straightened things up, and the CS is in it! :mrgreen: A/C'd garage ftw!

1. Fuel injector.

-What brand?

2. O-rings

-How many?

3. Silicone grease

Any special tools ill need??

THANKS!!

pcv valve and pcv hose (S or L shaped specialty hose depending on motor)

and get the giant $8 tube of dielectic grease if they have it (permatex 6 or 8 oz) try advanced perhaps?

Make sure you have those injector o-rings ordered. Every AutoZone I have been to has to order them. But Advanced seems to carry them in stock.

When you take the plenum off, make sure you cover the ports with rags. Dont forget to get a set of intake plenum gaskets, EGR gasket, Throttle body gasket.

Have a shop vac, or a regular vac handy. When you pull on the injector wires, the looms break apart something bad. Just use the vac to clean up the gunk befor you pull any injectors. You dont want that stuff in your engine.

You might think about changing your Distributor O-Ring gasket while you are in the engine this far. Its only one more bolt.

You might also think about ordering a vacume line set from your local GM dealer. Without a doubt, as soon as you start getting into that engine, those lines will break, without fail.

Your looking at a mess of 10mm, 13mm, and a couple 15mm bolts. Make sure you remember where the go back to. The intake plenum bolts have a couple piggy back bolts. Those need to go back into the same place. There are a couple 13mm nuts on the back side of the plenum that people always forget about when taking off the plenum. There will be 3 of them. You only need to take off the top 2, leaving the lower 3rd one alone. Dont foget to take off the large vacume line that goes to your brake booster.

Lastly, make sure you dont hurt your EGR metal line that goes to the exhuast cross over. You have a specific model I beleieve, and is no longer available anywhere. The TGP's use the same one, and are nearly inposible to find in a junkyard.

Make sure you have those injector o-rings ordered. Every AutoZone I have been to has to order them. But Advanced seems to carry them in stock.

When you take the plenum off, make sure you cover the ports with rags. Dont forget to get a set of intake plenum gaskets, EGR gasket, Throttle body gasket.

Have a shop vac, or a regular vac handy. When you pull on the injector wires, the looms break apart something bad. Just use the vac to clean up the gunk befor you pull any injectors. You dont want that stuff in your engine.

You might think about changing your Distributor O-Ring gasket while you are in the engine this far. Its only one more bolt.

You might also think about ordering a vacume line set from your local GM dealer. Without a doubt, as soon as you start getting into that engine, those lines will break, without fail.

Your looking at a mess of 10mm, 13mm, and a couple 15mm bolts. Make sure you remember where the go back to. The intake plenum bolts have a couple piggy back bolts. Those need to go back into the same place. There are a couple 13mm nuts on the back side of the plenum that people always forget about when taking off the plenum. There will be 3 of them. You only need to take off the top 2, leaving the lower 3rd one alone. Dont foget to take off the large vacume line that goes to your brake booster.

Lastly, make sure you dont hurt your EGR metal line that goes to the exhuast cross over. You have a specific model I beleieve, and is no longer available anywhere. The TGP's use the same one, and are nearly inposible to find in a junkyard.

Details...

I may, but my vac. lines don't seem the least bit brittle... under the plenium may be a whole different park...

Any particular brand injector?

I cant recomend any injector. I went to a salvage yard, and looked for a decent milage 2.8/3.1, ohm tested them, and put them in my car. Cost? FREE!!! I love pocket parts..

Details, uhm... I am sure someone else might be able to chime in about it. I know I have replaced 4 of them now, but couldnt tell you how to do it cause its all automatic to me.

You can buy the vac line set, and if you need it, you got it. If you dont, you return it if they will let you.

USE MOTOR OIL ON THE O-RINGS!!!!

Not other stuff... Oil will also make it much easier than di-electric to get them seated. I have done sooo many in 2.8/3.1 engines and good ol 5-30W is the best for ease..