• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IRONDOG442

• Crazy K

• ManicMechanic

• AWeb80

I would NEVER put that car back in pace trim, It is what it is, How the car sits today is part of its history, It is fortunate that it was re-purposed and not scraped out years ago. It has gone through what may be numerous changes over its lifetime, the turbo setup is gone by now, It will never be the authentic car it once was.

It would be like ripping up the Pikes Peak Turbo grand prix and attempting to put that back to stock.

Ken, did you not notice that the reverse lights on the PPG car are amber?

they are not, but the flash and weird lighting made them look that way

it is difficult to say if this is the same car. More than likely, the water cooled braking system would post date that picture anyhow, and things may have been rearranged then, if not later. both pictures show two fire canisters and two batteries, the same heat sink in the right rear (though the wires are at different angles)... both have power antennas, but this could be the "other real pace car"

It would be like ripping up the Pikes Peak Turbo grand prix and attempting to put that back to stock.

uh... the pikes peak car had it's roll cage removed and stock rear seats restored by a TGP forums member who runs a speed shop..... maybe a stock fuel tank as well?

Ken, so you're thinking the turbo setup was removed at some point? Why would someone do that and why would they put the grill in the hood if there was no turbo? If I had the money, I'd buy that car and put it back to the way it's supposed to look. I'd use the cladding and body stuff from my 88 international, which, by the way, is 200 miles short of 250,000!

I don't have those answers.

here's what i know... what you see under the hood was put there later than 1988. While the hood vent is a sign of what once was... even it is not original to that hood, it is most likely transplanted from the original hood during a facelift when the 1992 facia went on.

Maybe GM didn't wanted to prevent the turbo car from falling into the wrong hands? #^@!*& I can't remember where i read it, but they put strict speed limits on the 88 pacecar, you could not exceed 50mph, unless you had a helmet on... Maybe they thought it was a liability cause of something... Maybe it TORQUE STEERED like MOFO???? :willynilly:

You read that in a magazine article from 1988. I think it was car and driver. I just read that article the other day, I've got that issue. If you were driving over 50 or 55 on the track, you had to have a helmet.

uh... the pikes peak car had it's roll cage removed and stock rear seats restored by a TGP forums member who runs a speed shop..... maybe a stock fuel tank as well?

I know what kenny is doing to that poor car. and it is blasphemy.

Ken, did you not notice that the reverse lights on the PPG car are amber?

they are not, but the flash and weird lighting made them look that way

The original auction pics showed them as amber too... You didn't take any good pics of the back end.

YES THEY ARE AMBER YOU NIMROD!

no they are NOT.

The car was 12 inches from a wall, VERY HARD to get any shot of them. They are clear, complete with stock DOT markings for 1992 lens. In my pictures, the flash was bouncing off the paint, then off the wall behind me and back tinting everything goldish yellow. those shots I did get off the rear were blind shots of me point and guessing with the camera, as the wall was too close.

88_OLDSMOBILE_CUTLASS_CONVERTIBLE_5.jpg

I have even talked to the person trying to sell the car, but he isn't interested in me getting pictures of the car. "It would be a liability to show you" :rolleyes: I even offered to share what history I had in trade for the opportunity, but I don't think he even cared. Hell. I know where the E-bay pictures were taken... I know where the car is parked!!!!!

I have even talked to the person trying to sell the car, but he isn't interested in me getting pictures of the car. "It would be a liability to show you" :rolleyes: I even offered to share what history I had in trade for the opportunity, but I don't think he even cared. Hell. I know where the E-bay pictures were taken... I know where the car is parked!!!!!

#! - those are amber

#2 - I wouldn't let you come and hold a personal photoshoot of the car if you were not seriously in the market to buy it either. It would be a complete waste of the guys' time and would serve him no benefit whatsoever to allow you to do so. :shrug:

Gotta say, Ken, those look amber to me...

I know, but they are not. notice the auction pic they are dark, but not yellow. again, the lighting in the place was HORRIBLE. Everything had a sickly tint from the lights. I was also behind the car when they operated the strobes. the rears aren't strobes.

#2 - I wouldn't let you come and hold a personal photoshoot of the car if you were not seriously in the market to buy it either. It would be a complete waste of the guys' time and would serve him no benefit whatsoever to allow you to do so. :shrug:

I even offered to share what history I had in trade for the opportunity, but I don't think he even cared.

SPECIFICALLY: I offered my specific knowledge and history on the car in trade for the opportunity to further document it.

He did say that a serious buyer came to look at it, he would consider it. aka no.

The guy is a slimeball who thought he could turn $10,000 into $25,000 overnight. Too bad he has no idea how piss poor the car market is right now and that there is almost NO interest in collecting Oldsmobiles other than 1964-1972 442s HOs and 1983-1988 G body Cutlass Supremes. I hope he likes the car more than he liked his $10,000 because he is going to get stuck with it for a while if not indefinitley!!!

Ken give me the guys phone number so I can call him up and say "You got Gulched, PWNED!!!"

SPECIFICALLY: I offered my specific knowledge and history on the car in trade for the opportunity to further document it.

When I said "no benefit whatsoever" to him, I was referring to monitary benefit which is obviously his goal. If someone contacted me with no intention/means of buying and asked to take a photoshoot of my car as a trade for him "sharing his knowledge" with me I would laugh him right off the phone.