Re-covering Sunvisors

DOHCRagtopguy

My sunvisors really look like shit and I would like to re-cover them, preferably with leather or genuine imitation leather. :lol:

Has anybody actually done this before? I have a spare set that I picked up and was thinking about experimenting with them when I get time.

Yes I've done this. I assume being your car is a later model and a vert, that you have the "plastic framed" type as opposed to the carboard type.

Remove the mirror by prying out from the bottom of the mirror frame first. Then the seam around the sides and rear-edge and of the visor (opposite side of the hinge) snaps apart when you pry it with a long flat object. A butter knife worked good for this. Then the assembly opens up, which at that point you can remove the cloth. There are teeth that bite into the cloth and foam when in the closed position. You may remove it and use it as a guide. This type of setup is very forgiving should the new cloth be oversized, it just tucks into the visor further. No harm no foul. Here's what I did back in the day:

IM000242.jpg

DSvisor-close.jpg

I used some sort of thick velour cloth I found at a fabric store. I also imitated the GP pockets. Hope this helps!