Had to walk away.

jake63

Some of you might know that I'm restoring a '94 convertible. Well it's very close to done, but on Tuesday I was installing the new top, lowered it to attach the side cables, and when I was raising it I heard a bang and it stopped moving. I discovered hydraulic fluid on the passenger lift cylinder, don't know yet if it blew a line a seal or what. Going to have to take the interior BACK out to investigate. The fuckin' thing couldn't have popped when I had the interior stripped and tested the function of the top several times, could it? :willynilly:

The car is at the alignment shop now, I guess I'll be ready to attack it this weekend. Wanted to shoot it full of holes on Tuesday, though!

Took the interior apart today, it appears that the top of the cylinder blew off (the cap where the shaft comes out of) I gotta close the top to get the cylinder out, I'm guessing it's probably fucked though, huh?

Just bought two new cylinders from Convertible Service at convertibleparts.com $139 each. Don't want a weak link on the other side. If I'm going to go through the B.S. of taking it all apart and refilling the system then it's worth it. Let's hope a line doesn't blow when I get it all back together!

Not difficult to find, just to pay for!

Really? I looked at that site and it said nothing about Cutlass Supremes. Have a part # or something?

I'm willing to pay!

On Convertible Service's website click on "Upper Pivot Top Lift Cylinders"

Then click " Top Lift Cylinders" with picture

Then "GM Top Lift Cylinders"

Last listing is for 90-95 Cutlasses

I don't have a part number, I ordered them over the phone 1-800-333-1140

They are all aluminum and made in U.S.A.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, put the new cylinders in today, took a while to bleed the system of air but it's back together and functioning well. Going to put the interior back together and hope like hell nothing else fucks up.

It took some time to get to this because I had to cut the frame off my truck at the cab and weld on a junkyard frame, also had to make new bed support rails out of square tube.

You gotta love salt water and salted roads!

I por 15'd the shit out of the new stuff so hopefully this won't happen again.

Just bought a new A/C compressor, mine was making noise then sounded like it was a damn rock tumbler.

Also it's idling like shit, replaced all rubber fittings on vacuum lines then IAC valve, still idling rough. I swear this car doesn't want to go back on the road! I haven't even been able to get an inspection sticker on it yet cuz it keeps fucking up. :willynilly: