Battery Size Question - 1995 Cutlass with 3.4

kcac

I needed a new battery for a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 3.4 L engine. the "book" called for a group size 78 battery. The battery is 10 3/16" long, and fits in the tray, but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the windshield washer fluid container, which fits over the battery. I cannot seem to wedge the washer fluid container into position.

The previous owner had a smaller battery in the car, probably a group 75, which is 9 1/16" long, and I was able to get the washer fluid container in the car with no problems using that battery. Was I spoiled by the smaller battery, and gave up to easily when the washer fluid tank wouldn't go back in place with the bigger battery?

Are you supposed to "work the washer container" a bit to get it in place, or is a group size 78 battery too big for this space?

I always have to fight, and sometimes have to un "bolt" (they're fake nuts) the fuse box on the strut tower there to put the washer bottle back in properly. So yes, it is a bitch to do, you have the right battery. XD

Do you have the annoying air intake? And the Fuse box thats right by the Batt? lol

in your quote you spoke of the 3100's washer reservoir, is this what you ment?

DSC00095.jpg

if so, i have never had a problem removeing or reinstalling it. :dunno:

• 4 weeks later...

I found out more information that may help someone else who has to go battery shopping for a 1995 Cutlass.

Some battery manufacturers specify a smaller, group 75 battery for those Cutlasses that were made early in the 1995 model year, and a larger group 78 battery for Cutlasses made late in the 1995 model year. A group 78 battery fits in the battery tray of an early '95 Cutlass just fine. The problem begins when you try to put the windshield washer fluid container back on - the larger battery forces the washer bottle against the fuse box as GP1138 noted.

Group size 78 was only factory if it had climate control... Thats a little info tidbit I found out after I got my 96 and saw a friggen 75 in there. But that doesnt matter now. I relocated my old 75 to the trunk and now I charge at .7volts higher...

There's some first gens that got 78 seriesi?!

Yup, but had to have electical draining options... I think a few 95-96 GPs could get the 78 as well...

Interesting thought about the climate control. Mine has climate control. The battery manufacturer's listing didn't specify the battery group size based on climate control, only whether the car was made early or late in the model year. so I'm not sure how I would have applied this new info.

I went with a group 75 because it allowed me to reinstall the washer bottle without having to move the fuse box out of the way. I pull the battery every fall when the car is parked for the winter, and want to keep the job as simple as possible.

Interesting!!!! I was hammering myself in the head over why I had a group 78 battery hanging around, as I swear it fit in one of my cars and it wouldn't fit when I tried to stick it into the 92 vert. since I revived the 95 LQ1 sedan.... I see that the battery area is actually longer, and the core support at the front has about an extra inch at the top... not that that matters... cause I raised the car and it so fubared from rust the rear suspension jackpad collapsed!!! and now it is stuck!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i wanted to make a 78 series work in my 94 cutlass because i have a brand new delco battery that is 78n just sitting. i havent tried but i was told it would not work in my 94

just thought i would post that i put my delco 78n in my 94 cutlass and it fit like a glove :mrgreen:

This is apparently a modification they made when they changed the front core supprt between the 93 and 94 model years. :exclaim:

• 7 years later...

I have a 78 AGM battery in my 94 Cutlass. You can make em fit, it's just a pain in the ass to do so. I don't have the factory air intake (have a cone filter on it) and I haven't ran a washer bottle on it for the 3 years I've had it so it's easy to get in and out. Basically the washer bottle and the little pad at the bottom that holds the battery in place have to go if you want to run the 78. They also have to be wedged in, you can't just drop em in.

Definitely worth the hassle if you get an AGM though. Those things take a better beating.

I prefer an AGM but just needed the spare 34/78 for the Judge (2011 vintage Optima is not holding a charge) so will probably go with a 75 to keep the washer reservoir. Suspect the top terminals on a 34/78 would be an issue.

OTOH since threatening mine with a new battery the 75 in there it has been starting easily despite the meter only showing 340CCA/50% capacity. May try a desulphate cycle and see what happens.