Air Conditioning charge points

shadow

the difference is quite large actually. I believe the output from the vent is 5 to 10* colder with R12. You can convert a R12 system to R134 because they run on at the same ambient temperature and internal pressures.

Joey, speaking from my own experience, there isn't a whole lot of difference. The last R134a converted cars(1988 Chevrolet pickup & an older Ford T-bird) that I've bothered to measure vent outlet temperatures on were 38*F to 40*F when the ambient temperature was around 85*F. I haven't measured an R12 car in a while, but I honestly cannot "feel" a difference between my TGP with R12 and my other GP that hs R134a in it. I'll measure vent temperatures on both soon...they both blow ice cold!

Shadow, here's the picture.

IMG_3347.jpg

The one with the blue cap there is the low side port that you'll need to use for recharging. Your caps are likely black in color if your car hasn't been converted yet.

They change the caps when they retrofit?

You have screw on R134a fittings when you retrofit and the kits that the fittings come in usually have red & blue color coded caps with them to designate the high(red) and low(blue) sides from one another. The stock caps are typically just black in color.

the difference is quite large actually. I believe the output from the vent is 5 to 10* colder with R12. You can convert a R12 system to R134 because they run on at the same ambient temperature and internal pressures.

Joey, speaking from my own experience, there isn't a whole lot of difference. The last R134a converted cars(1988 Chevrolet pickup & an older Ford T-bird) that I've bothered to measure vent outlet temperatures on were 38*F to 40*F when the ambient temperature was around 85*F. I haven't measured an R12 car in a while, but I honestly cannot "feel" a difference between my TGP with R12 and my other GP that hs R134a in it. I'll measure vent temperatures on both soon...they both blow ice cold!

Shadow, here's the picture.

IMG_3347.jpg

The one with the blue cap there is the low side port that you'll need to use for recharging. Your caps are likely black in color if your car hasn't been converted yet.

Thanks for the pics but looking at where the hoses lead it would appear that the blue cap is the HIGH side?

I just double checked the high end fitting that came with the kit only fits where the blue cap is in the picture. Is it possible that the caps are wrong? Mistakes happen?

The one on the bottom with the blue cap is the low side port. That is where you fill the system with freon. Don't try to fill the system on the high side port (the red one on top).

The one on the bottom with the blue cap is the low side port. That is where you fill the system with freon. Don't try to fill the system on the high side port (the red one on top).

Okay thanks guys before I made a mistake.

You cant mess it up anways. Low and High pressure sides are different sized ports. And your can of freon will onyl fit one.

my thoughts exactly....they make it virtually impossible to try to fill the wrong side

Well its done and it took almost 3 hours :eek: The retrofit adaptor for the low side is about 1 1/4" long and since it point towards the turbo there is NO room to put the charging hose on. Bad enough it was a very tight fit for my fingers to get it lined up but it would only fit crooked. I tried everything to get it to fit on and nothing worked. Finally I used a tire iron to jam it on and a screw driver to release the clip so it would snap on all in very little space and at the same time. Once it was on I began charging but the turbo and manifold was so hot and there was so little wiggle room as the hose is only like 3" long. Got to the last can but the hose was too close to the turbo it burned a hole (no choice it was jammed in there tight). Luckily the system is charged enough that the AC was cold. If it leaks out again oh well I am not going through that again.

Looking at the pic of the lines on a tgp....I was wondering how in all of fuck you are supposed to get a fitting on there. Also weren't R12 components (such as the condensor and evaporator) usually smaller than R134 because they only needed to be so big?