Door adjustment? - looks ajar from outside

DavidHowell3633

:question:

please elaborate. is the door sagging as well as not being tightly shut? the striker and/or the latch mechaism on the door can be adjusted if the door is just not sealing tight. make sure that some of the items like the guide pins are not holding the door from closing further. if the door is sagging... fix the sagging first before adjusting the latch, otherwise you'll just be wasting time..

The door was sagging, but, my friends down at the body shop adjusted that by adding some shims.

If you look at the door from the rear wheel it does not appear to meet the body tightly. I don't get wind noise or water from the window so the weatherstripping is doing a good job. the door itself just doesn't fit tight. I'll check the alignment pin. I do remember seeing some brass flakes and pin misalignment scrapes when I first bought the car. That could be it? Thanks.

loosen the lower two bolts on the car side, shift door, tighten lower two bolts

I did this today and it worked very well, for the most part. My problem is the window frame up top does not want to be against the body like it should. I'm watching this thread with bated breath!

loosen the lower two bolts on the car side, shift door, tighten lower two bolts

I did this today and it worked very well, for the most part. My problem is the window frame up top does not want to be against the body like it should. I'm watching this thread with bated breath!

On the Vert DVD we got with the pin cup kit, it has a video for repairing convertibles, and it's like three hours long. I watched a good portion of it, and the section dealing with leaks and such said to do exactly that. However, if that's not the reason for adjusting the door, it may not be the best place to start

john,

your door is badly damaged still and needs replaced. the damage on your coupe is bad enough that the top has bent outward. I would simply grab the top of the door and pull inward while holding the rest of the door open. do that a couple of times and the door top will bend inward and should seal better.

john,

your door is badly damaged still and needs replaced. the damage on your coupe is bad enough that the top has bent outward. I would simply grab the top of the door and pull inward while holding the rest of the door open. do that a couple of times and the door top will bend inward and should seal better.

This is pretty much my game plan. I figure if I break anything beyond repair, I'm out a damaged door, and it will prove much easier to enter and exit my Cutlass!

Bend a door with your bare hands? Damn...

Yeah lol, When i did it I stood in between the door and car and press my knees on the door as i pulled back on the door usin my body weight

Crazy K- I loosened the striker pin a couple of months ago and it didn't budge. I was stumped. I suppose I'll spray some PB Blaster and use my mallet to persuade it toward the inside.

As far as door glass adjustment, I have seen on several cars (I dunno about the W-body) that if you'll take the door panel off and look toward the bottom of the rear channel you may find a bolt with a slotted head for a screwdriver. You would loosen a lock nut and turn counter-clockwise to move the bottom of the channel toward the outside which also angles the top toward the inside. Anyway, my Haynes manual refers to something similar on Page 11-8, 15. "Door window glass- removal installation, adjustment". Since this was most likley written for a non-convertible it will not be exact. If you need more from my Haynes manual let me know and I'll type it up for you.