!!!!!!Ball-joint broke car got rear-ended README!!!!PICS UP!!! 4/4/08 PG 4!1

5speedz34

Yeah I don't want to bust your balls Tony but this is my second year in a row that I am working full time and going to school full time. A lot of people do it because they HAVE to do it. I do it because I am addicted to money and spending it on my car.

If you need a full time job I will be quitting mine soon, I can put in a good word for you??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• slick

• ismellrealbad

• jeremy

Damn that sucks. Hope you get it all fixed and what not. I do find it funny that everytime that someone gets in an accident that the cops gives a ticket to the person Not At Fault. My buddies got hit by a car riding his bike like 5 years ago and got a fuckin ticket. Honestly some cops are just fuckin dicks. For a side note, its great to go by them at 4 grand and give them a nice hi pictch Pssssssssssssssttt, sorry I had to,lol.

Matt, what are you going to school for again?

Because I know with my engineering degree, I sure as hell couldn't work full time while being a full time student.

Very true, depends on the degree. My brother went to FSU and worked at UPS full time. He is off working now for a company that makes the aluminum plates for cancer patients. But yeah it depends on the degree, for sure.

That really sucks Tony. I was lucky when the outer tie rod broke from the inner on my car. Somehow it held together as I drove through the parking lot and it decided to separate as I was going into a parking spot. :eek: Just glad you aren't hurt. It could have happened at a high speed and that could have been a disaster. :sad:

Yeah no shit, if that ball joint broke at 20 or lets say high way speeds, like 80mph, you would have been fucked, literally.

Very rarely do ball joints seperate at high speeds and the reason why is quite simple, there is more force exerted on the steering and suspension system when dragging tires at slow speeds rather than fast, it makes sense if you think about it.

Sorry to hear what happened Tony, I had one ball joint on my old Regal that was about to fallout, thankfully I caught it in time...

Thankfully it doesn't appear too bad. The axle, brake line/abs wires and strut may still be ok.

whoa! this makes me want to replace my ball joints now, which i already know i need to do.

Is this on your 98 GT? If so, it's one of the first times I've heard of bad ball joints on a 2nd gen W. My old Regal was on it's 3rd set by 140k and my New Regal's ball joints are nice and tight at 133k :)

did the cv shaft break too? or pop out of the tranny>?

Ya, the shaft tore in 2.

I might get pics, today.

First and foremost I'm lazy. Second, I pulled a all nighter. I'm cold and its like 30 mph winds out.

Matt and Jay. I know you aren't busting my balls. Luckily I don't need to work. The problem is I don't know if could balance working and going to school. Although, maybe if I was busy enough and had very little free-time it could structure things for me. :dunno:

I have $10 in my bank acct. Thats it. Nothing. Other than durable goods, I have no money.

Chris, Matt goes to school in evening. I think he was doing automotive and switched to law enforcement.

Chris, Matt goes to school in evening. I think he was doing automotive and switched to law enforcement.

Ahh.... ok, makes sense. My buddy graduated from UT with a Criminal Justice degree. He could work 60 hours a week if he wanted. Must be nice.

Ahh.... ok, makes sense. My buddy graduated from UT with a Criminal Justice degree. He could work 60 hours a week if he wanted. Must be nice.

He could work 60 hours a week now since he graduated? Or when he was in school, since the degree is easy?

He could work 60 hours a week now since he graduated? Or when he was in school, since the degree is easy?

While he was still in school, since it was that easy.

He hated being told it was easy, since everyone else he was living with was going to school for some sort of engineering degree, but he truly knew it was a cake degree.

I'm just sick of shitty rusted old-ass W's.

thats how i felt for most of last year. winters in the snow states are tough on cars.

QFT! I have had no less than 6 different breakdowns this winter... in different vehicles.

thats how i felt for most of last year. winters in the snow states are tough on cars.

QFT! I have had no less than 6 different breakdowns this winter... in different vehicles.

Wow.

These cars aren't bad, but they are just getting old.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope everything works out.

So how about those pics???

Meh, been busy.

I'll get some tomorrow evening.

Wow.

These cars aren't bad, but they are just getting old.

Well, this is Ken we're talking about...

Did you have any warning before it broke? I have over 200k on my cutlass and am wandering how you even check for something like that before it brakes. I know on older rear wheel drive cars and trucks the ball joints would become loose and the tire would lean in if it was the one on top. Did you have any tire wear problems?

Did you have any warning before it broke? I have over 200k on my cutlass and am wandering how you even check for something like that before it brakes. I know on older rear wheel drive cars and trucks the ball joints would become loose and the tire would lean in if it was the one on top. Did you have any tire wear problems?

putting the front of the car on jacks on the pinch welds, not on the control arm, grab the tire at a 12 o' clock and 6 o' clock position and wiggle the tire top to bottom. if it moves, ball joints are bad. if the car was on the ground and you were to turn the wheels left to right and heard a popping noise comming from the front, that would also indicate bad ball joints.

Ya, I think mine just broke because of age.

Who knows till I dig into it.

Went to the police station today, got the ticket signed off. I don't think I could sue this lady in small claims since she wasn't ticketed, but I'll ask my dad.

Ball joint completely separated from the sleeve. :eek: I hope my strut assembly didn't seperate.

These pics are huge.

Pics here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/GP%20Ball%20Joint%20Failure/

damn i must say i really like that car, and the color. That damage looks very minimal to me. A few clips, halfshaft, balljoint some paint then good as new, unless i am missing something. I have seen the balljoint pop out on a few buick regals before but always at low speed or cornering