95 Lumina - Heat Not Working-- UPDATE 4-9-08

88red4cyl

I ran out this morning on an errand, and I noticed something funny on the car.. The heat setting was blowing cold air.. I turned the controls all the way to the cold side, and the air warmed up a bit.. I switched it back to hot and the air stayed the same temp.. Everything I tried it on, I was getting the same kinda warm air.. Even on the AC settings.. What the heck is going on here?

See below for update..

The knobs may be bad. Or a vacuum thingy that other people are having, don't really know that one because I've only seen knobs go bad, once.

But the knobs are easy to test. If the fan changes when you turn that knob, take off the knob for the fan and temp; Put the fan knob on the temp knob and if nothing changes that's not the problem.

I'm not sure. I think they might.

The car where the knobs went bad was a Cavalier.

If they look near to the picture, then they do. Other people with problems like this the problem was something with a vacuum or something, but if the knobs come of it's easier to test.

95cavalier_int.jpg

The regular climate control uses the same part, but just one of them since it's single-zone. I would just try a junkyard one (If anything, get one from a pre-95 as these seem to be much stronger, and should interchange no problem) or a new GM one. I don't know where to find the parts to repair it.

Since you seem to be fairly knowledgable on the subject, how involved would it be to convert the car to the dual climate setup (the vertical switches, not electronic)? Is it something fairly simple, or would you not even mess with it?

without looking at the wiring differences, you'll probably just have to add 3 or 4 wires for the additional heat actuator. You'll also have to take out the dash for the different heat duct box that has two separate "doors" for the air to pass thru the heater core. MAYBE it can be done by just swapping the dual heat duct "doors" to your original box but I haven't looked into that. That will be the biggest obstacle/PITA. Do you like your passengers that much? :lol:

Do you like your passengers that much? :lol:

I think it's a great idea to upgrade. But do I like my passengers that much?

No... but I wouldn't mind an easy fuck.

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon I decided to tear into the car and get the actuator out.. Kinda surprised by what I found..

S6300425Medium.jpg

The thing looks fine to me... Where should I start looking at now?

Well hot damn... I put it back together, and it works now... How the heck did that happen...? I should probably replace it anyway though, just to be safe...

Well hot damn... I put it back together, and it works now... How the heck did that happen...? I should probably replace it anyway though, just to be safe...

Where you getting any heat at all?

My car only blows heat under acceleration. And then it just blows outside air.

Where you getting any heat at all?

My car only blows heat under acceleration. And then it just blows outside air.

I was getting semi warm air on every temp setting, even on AC.. Now it works just fine. :thumbsup:

maybe the little piece of plastic that the actuator "Grabs" is loose or stripped or something. Also check to see if the blend door moves freely with your hands (twist that plastic protrusion)

maybe the little piece of plastic that the actuator "Grabs" is loose or stripped or something. Also check to see if the blend door moves freely with your hands (twist that plastic protrusion)

Yep, the blend door moves freely, I checked it before I put the car back together.. As you can see from the pic, it seemed like there was a lot of grease.. It seemed like the gear coming from the motor and the first gear had so much grease there that it was binding or something (kinda difficult to turn, if it's possible for grease to bind things).. I cleaned some of the grease out of that area, reinstalled it, and presto! it works..