ATTENTION '97-'03 L67 Owners - GM Recall Pending due to engine fires

SigEpCutlass

So get a passport. Should be cheaper than paying the dealer $700, if that is indeed what they'd charge.

Then again, I'd still like someone to chime in here if it is even possible for a LIM gasket on an L67 to be leaking oil upward.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stevo

• jeremy

• ismellrealbad

• Euro

Not that I know of. I'm registered on this forum only.

I have to get this fixed. Contaminated coolant and oil isn't a good thing.

This sucks... I would ask what else is gonna happen to me but that would be like tempting the gods.

I asked about the replacement parts and it appears to be a revised gasket (the parts guy was a smart alec about the L67/36 fire issue) and he couldn't give me a definitive answer about the 'kit'. I was assuming that there were 8 short and long replacement bolts for this kit. I'm being frank, I don't know shit about these engines because I am an Olds guy. If this was my LQ1, I would not have even been down there.

/waves good bye to xmas money.

Not that I know of. I'm registered on this forum only.

I have to get this fixed. Contaminated coolant and oil isn't a good thing.

This sucks... I would ask what else is gonna happen to me but that would be like tempting the gods.

I asked about the replacement parts and it appears to be a revised gasket (the parts guy was a smart alec about the L67/36 fire issue) and he couldn't give me a definitive answer about the 'kit'. I was assuming that there were 8 short and long replacement bolts for this kit. I'm being frank, I don't know shit about these engines because I am an Olds guy. If this was my LQ1, I would not have even been down there.

/waves good bye to xmas money.

If you can do it yourself, it really isn't that bad. All you need is someone who has a garage and a day. The gaskets aren't that expensive. Do you have any relatives that have a garage you can borrow for a day? You'll be a lot better off just spending half that cash buying a whole slew of tools to do the job yourself.

Yeah... thing is, I have no where to do this. Everyone I know either lives in an apartment or has no garage. I'm pretty much a guy who does work right in the driveway.

I bought this goddamn car because the motors were 'supposedly' bulletproof and now this crap, most likely brought on by the severe cold and heat.

Plus the oil pan has a 'weeping' leak and the power-steering rack line has a small 'weep' as well. I'll fix that shit at the end of spring.

the LIM and VC gaskets can be done in less than 3 hours on an L67

edit: youl also want to replace the coolant elbows, sc gasket, tb gasket, and theres 2 little yellow o rings to replace between the sc and lim as well. you may also want to change the sc oil since youll have the thing off

re-edit. you dont even need to take the tb off so no tb gasket

I know I'm coming ina little late, but on L67's (and L36's), it's actually pretty common for the LIM gaskets to fail and have coolant and oil come up the threads for the lower intake bolts and then leak higher up.

See it all the time........

Right now I've also got a 99 Regal with the more usual L36 failure: hydrolocked engine from the LIM EGR port warping the upper intake and dumping coolant down the intake runners. So THAT guy gets the revised LIM, along with a replacement (NON warped) UIM, all gaskets, new plugs (and new wires because 2 of the boots came appart) and a coolant flush because he dumped in a whole bunch of GREEN coolant (don't want the water pump to crap out in another year or so ;)). And he's lucky he didn't keep trying to start it, because THAT will break the nose off the starter.........

sorry I took a crap in this recall thread... I thought this was a recall that needed to be redone.

Turns out the lower intake was leaking. The tech forgot to quote an assload of replacement parts and they cut me a break on the job that would have been about $900. Still ... $700 is $700 too much for me considering the fact that this car is newer than my others. I lost my jobs and at this time a year, it's not good to be unemployed.