Cutlass Supreme engine problems

unclehotte

Hello. I was wondering if anybody can help me with my Cutlass problem?

Its a 92, Engine 3.4 DOHC 120.000 miles, no fluid leaks, got tune up 2 years ago, got new IAC 4 weeks ago,

trans fluid was changed 2 years ago,fluid level ok, no oil in water or water in oil,

Was running great till some day after starting the engine idle run up to 3000 rpm. After parking the car for 2 days this high rpm stayed high for up to 20 min. If the car was driven every day it was just 4-5 min. After reading in this forum I changed the IAC. The change was, the idle still went to 3000, but only for about 20 seconds then it dropped to normal.I thought the problem was fixed. But NOW the car dont want to start anymore. Before it took just turning the key to start it, now I have to pump the gas pedal and when it starts it shakes and spits white smoke and smells from unburned gas. After it gets driven it runs ok and when it is warm it drives normal. But the start problems are every time now( when the engine is cold). Also the rpms when the car is coasting in D and about 35mph is 1000, usually that was around 1600, but it doesnt stall. Does anybody have an idea whats wrong with my engine suddenly? I love this car and it served me great the 6 years I own it now.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I couldnt find any vacuum leaks. And I thought the high idle might come from a bad gasket,too.

But why dont it run on all cylinders and spits and shakes when I start it cold? Can that be from the gasket, too???

where is this one located? I just drove the car till engine was warm, drove great. After 10 minutes I wanted to start it again and almost made the battery empty. When it came on it didnt want to run right and i smelled a lot of fuel again. If i cant figure this out i guess its shop time.

Hello. I found something new out today. The car don't want to start because the engine is flooded when I want to start it. It seems that fuel gets injected after I shut the car off? My whole garage stinks of gas, but i don't see any leaks, nothing in the engine or on the floor BUT in the engine oil. The whole oil is full of gas. I have never ever seen something like this before. B.T.W, i change oil regularly, its not that the oil is very old.When this mess started I thought there is maybe an injector clogged and cause the ugly idle till its warm, it seems to be more the opposite.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I started this post and got the car fixed FINALLY. It was the fuel pressure regulator which dumped gas into the engine when it was shut off, flooding it and making it hard to start. Runs and drives good, have to wait and see how it starts when its cold now.

one thing is weired......Since i got the car back from the shop the transmission shifts HARD. What could they have done to the transmission when they replaced the fuel pressure regulator???? Is there a vacuum hose on the transmission they might have pulled off???

It does it up and downshift. Its worse how lower the gear ist. It really hits HARD when i put it in R. In D its not as bad, but not like it was before.

Remove the air box and look down. You're staring at the vacuum line that runs to the transmission. It will have a rubber elbow, and go into the transmission. Pull that elbow off. It it is cracked, replace it. If not, start up the car. If that nipple thing is leaking fluid, replace the modulator. Very easy to do

I got the car back from the shop today and they tell me vacuum hose was NOT disconnected and the transmission was like this when they fixed the fuel pressure regulator. I had the car towed to the shop and it was parked 4 weeks. Before that the transmission was FINE. :frown:

Will try to check for the modulator at the weekend. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the rubber elbow today, which was cracked and broken like i guess you would expect for the age of the car. So i installed a new modulator also, since they go for $15 at the car stores. And YES, shift problems are GONE. Thanks for the help, guys :biggrin:

B.T.W, i was right about the guys in the shop. I thought they might have something to do with my hard shift, since it was ok when i took it to the shop to get the fuel pressure regulator fixed. They must have broken the rubber elbow since they worked close by and when they pulled or bend the vacuum hose it must have been enough to crack it and suck outside air in.