Convertible Dome Light Switches

j_mezz

That is an interesting question.  I'm thinking you're talking about the lights in the back seat on the side of the roof, right?  I have a couple of olds coupes, I would think the regal would be the same as that.  So, on the olds coupe, the switches Look the same and do fit into the housing but the shaft/pushrod isn't as long - the coupe being longer.  I suspect you could get creative and figure out a way to make the shaft longer - either by drilling a hole in the middle and putting a screw half way in, or maybe cutting a slice off of yours and gluing it to the new one (or maybe a combination of both of these).  One other idea...I know some folks have taken the switches apart (to reuse the original wires as opposed to splicing them in).  If they could do that you could probably switch the shaft (if it isn't damaged\melted).

I'd suggest taking one of your lights off to see what it looks like.  If it looks like a match try separating the switch into 2 halves to see if you can extract the pushrod piece.

Maybe post up a pic of what you have, if it's the same as the olds...we'll come up with a plan.  I might have one around I can play with.

In the Regal, the back C pillar lights are controlled by the dimmer on the headlight switch. I haven't seen a way to formally turn them on and off separately. The Regal has an overhead console  with a cubby. That console also has the map lights and the "dome" light.

This is not mine but it looks like this.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I've taken it apart before, and it seems that the buttons are similar enough but I don't have a CSC one handy to compare.

Well, here's some measurements for reference.  It's 3/8" wide where it would slide into the housing (so that would equate to the size of the hole that it would slide into) and 7/16" from the base of the top of the switch to the top of the pushrod (so the height from the bottom of the hole it would slide into).

• 11 months later...

just installed a new pair of these switches and a set of LEDs. Like brand new, NICE!! A big thank you for putting forth the effort of sourcing these and offering them at a great price. 

• 4 months later...

By the way, are they the same from 90 through 95? I 'm only sure about 93-94.

9ef93991ecddabc0f0e7b8707361f8e6.jpgjust got a dome light with working switches!

Out of a 95 for my 94

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkaaed88fa7b5b5a30716dece7a8156364.jpgout of the 95

Nice, good find!  And that confirms the light is the same from 92 - 95.  Anybody know if 90/91 is the same?

Careful, I got a set of super nice corner markers when I rebuilt the Regal a few years ago off a different model year and they were like an inch too short for the recess in my bumper. Blew my mind.

• 2 years later...

I've had a couple of questions as the the availability of the switches and just to put a more recent confirmation out there, I do still have them, still $8 a pair, still have LED bulbs, $12 for a set, but I am bumping shipping up to $4 for shipping within the US.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/29/2008 at 5:36 PM, j_mezz said:

I successfully lobbied the original manufacturer of dome light switches to re-manufacture some switches for me. I ordered a couple of hundred and they just showed up today. $8 a pair plus shipping ($2.50).

It's probably just my cars they broke on, right? :)

I'll post a picture tomorrow night.

7/28/11 update - Acting on a tip from another W-bodier I picked up some LED bulbs that fit right into the original housing. These eliminate the heat buildup that causes the switches to go bad. I can provide a set of 4 for $12.

9-30-13 update - All interior LED light conversion bulbs now available. See page 13 for pic and pricing

Are You able to ship to Canada?

• 9 months later...

Hey all I’m brand new to the forum!

I saw this thread and had to reply immediately. I have the same situation. Switches are frozen and don’t even push to turn on. This is technically the dome/bow lights on the vert.

j_mezz are you still available with parts? And to anyone else, I didn’t see him logged in for over a year if someone could shoot him an e-mail to check the ol’ Cutty forum lol.

• 9 months later...

Hey Tornado, and anyone else, I'm still here!  Haven't logged on in a while but I've still got my W-Bodies and still got plenty of dome light switches.  I've been seeing other cars...  :)   PM my with how many switches you want and if you want any bulbs...

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 7:10 PM, j_mezz said:

Hey Tornado, and anyone else, I'm still here!  Haven't logged on in a while but I've still got my W-Bodies and still got plenty of dome light switches.  I've been seeing other cars...  :)   PM my with how many switches you want and if you want any bulbs...

Sent PM. Interested!