Convertible Dome Light Switches

j_mezz

Thank you very much, and payment sent. Now I just have to put my poor car back together again. It was looking nice, now it is a mess with most of the interior torn up for the HUD and some (what you would think were minor) stereo upgrades.

Hey RJ, caught the post office before they closed so they're on their way!

Sounds great! Looking forward to receiving them. At the rate I am getting my car back together, I will likely receive them before I put the bar back together.

Package received, parts installed, looks great. The lens freaked me out trying to get it back in though, the plastic has become VERY brittle and as I gave it a gentle, and I mean gentle push at one end to reseat it, the end of the plastic started to spiderweb. Not visible, but anyone else doing this should be really careful with it. Also, when you take the trim off of the roll bar I would strongly suggest pushing the bottom up against the metal before you screw the top down and don't try and tighten it too much as you could break off the fiber posts in the bottom trim if you use the screws to pull it up. Just sayin'.

Thanks a lot for the effort on getting these parts made!

I successfully lobbied the original manufacturer of dome light switches to re-manufacture some switches for me. I ordered a couple of hundred and they just showed up today. $8 a pair plus shipping ($2.50).

It's probably just my cars they broke on, right? :)

I'll post a picture tomorrow night.

7/28/11 update - Acting on a tip from another W-bodier I picked up some LED bulbs that fit right into the original housing. These eliminate the heat buildup that causes the switches to go bad. I can provide a set of 4 for $12.

I would very much like to buy a set of the switches and set of 4 LED lights if I can please email me with the info on how boglebd@msn.com Bruce thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good luck JMoore...

Oh...self bump. I've got more switches...anyone?

I'l like to order a couple, guess mine are out, as sure as heck can't get that light to come on. These ae the rubber switches at each end of the housing, correct? Tell me how to order them, and I'll send you a check.

PayPals fine, if I can still remember how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Got2beGM - $30 for 10 bulbs, $8 for 2 switches, and lets say $3 for shipping + so $41.

Aron, They're the switches that go behind the rubber cover. I don't have the rubber covers, but a set of the 2 switches and 4 bulbs is $22.50 ($8+$12+$2.50).

You can paypal me at mezz@benris.com, or shoot me an email at that address for my mailing address.

Edited by j_mezz

By the way, I didn't notice if anyone else mentioned this, but the bulb in the back of the console is the same type. Although changing it is sort of superfluous since having the overheads changed provides way more illumination than before, it does reduce the amount of heat generated in that area and of course makes all the lights in the back of the car the same colour. If you do change this bulb, be careful when taking the lens out of the unit (accessed by removing the console insert), as mine was VERY tight.

Got2beGM - $30 for 10 bulbs, $8 for 2 switches, and lets say $3 for shipping + so $41.

Aron, They're the switches that go behind the rubber cover. I don't have the rubber covers, but a set of the 2 switches and 4 bulbs is $22.50 ($8+$12+$2.50).

You can paypal me at mezz@benris.com, or shoot me an email at that address for my mailing address.

Jmetz: PayPal sent today 9/21/11. THANKS!

:D

Aron

Got my switches in successfully. Like the LED glow. Now I need to change the other bulbs to LED. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what bulb numbers are in the footwells and in the mirror? Thanks.

Hey Aron, just a heads up, I've been checking my paypal account and I haven't seen your payment hit yet...

Mezz: You get my PayPal yet? Anxious to see how those lights in the roll bar look; haven't worked since we got it 3 weeks ago!

Aron