Just got a TurboGP--- some questions.

Murt TTA/TGP

Hello all,

I just picked up my TGP today. It is red w/ cloth, no sunroof. A few questions about these cars: The turbo seemed pretty small-- has anybody successfully upgraded a turbo?? I have been reading online, and it seems these turbo's have an odd mounting flange and the only direct bolt on turbo is the T-28?? Why hasn't anybody welded on a different flange for say a t03 turbo or maybe a stock GN turbo??

Also, has anybody mounted a front mount intercooler on their cars?? There looks like there is plenty of room to mount a better intercooler in front of the radiator.

Is "jeff m" the only person that makes chips for these cars? Is there any way to use a diode to over ride the stock computer from the boost cut out?? it seems that these cars have great potential, but more boost is needed.

Has anybody upgraded injectors, fuel pump, or added a 7th injector to allow more fuel?

Also, is there a scan tool to monitor o2's, knock, etc???

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I am coming from a GN turbo world were cheap upgrades can yield much HP gains. :)

Thanks,

Murt

I hear ya on the GN TTYPE TTA world. I work on alot of GN's. I think its that the cars are a more traditional platform for power upgrades and there were more of them made (GN TTYPES TTA combined with the Vin "7" motor). Much better known than the TGP. The size and space constraints are one of the big issues of the TGP. Also, the market is fairly limited as there are other pricey issues on the GP that alot of folks have issues with before going on to make serious gains and I know some have been approached with this and refused to do it because of the expected return.

One of the first issues for alot of the things you mention is the code. On a GN since is mass air, changes are relatively easy on a basic level. But because the TGP uses speed density its more difficult to change factors. I don't know anyone who has tried to trick the computer into higher boost with a diode. From what i've heard this would be put in the MAP sensor signal line to get the car past the 9.5 psi cutoff, and has been used on other cars such as the Dodge Turbo's.

Cutting the flange off is also a little more involved because it incorporates the Turbo support. Unlike a GN which is just a flange and has a separate bracket to help support the turbo. So a new flange would have to be custom made to incorporate this feature. Because of the 3bolt pattern of the GN turbo you wouldn't be able to mount the turbo because one of the bolts would be far underneath where you couldn't get to it because of the turbo bracket. Any upgrade would have to be a Square pattern. Fortunately the TGP has a fairly good exhaust system with very few sharp bends or restrictions. The downpipe flows fairly well also.

Jeff is the only person who is actively making chips for these cars. Other have said they would/do but have never had any results. Jeff chips are great as well as his replacment crossover pipes. We are all anxiously awaiting his new releases for upgrades.

I don't know of anyone who has gone to a front mount. I firmly believe this would be a great upgrade for these cars. I've looked into the BIG Isuzu NPR intercooler and think this would be a very good fit for these cars. The starion one I believe would be too small, and I'm not fond of the Volvo intercoolers. The GN IC would also be a good start, since they are pretty cheap, but wouldn't be the most efficient and largest fit available.

Almost any "scanner" can work well with these cars. They use an 8192baud ecm so normal ALDL communication will be fast enough. Diacom is widely used, but can be pricey. I don't have any direct experience with programs such as FreeScan, but they should also work well too. Diacom has issues with faster computers, and certain brand combinations, but most PC scanners seem to have that issue.

THe standard fuel pump is pretty large, but should be serviced if of unknown condition. Its the same one used on the TPI corvettes. I don't know the limit on it however. The walbro pump might be a bit overkill for this motor.

If you are createive, I'm sure there are cheap enough upgrades for this car. Not as cheap and rewarding as the TTA or GN, but rewarding none theless. The TGP also has a few things going for it that make it a good platform to put the effort into for upgrades such as handling, comfort, looks and aerodynamics.

Good luck and check out my site if you haven't already.

Chris

http://www.turbogpgarage.com

I would say, chop the flange and replace it with a T3 flange. T3 would be a good upgrade. Even if you run stock boost levels a T3 will have a higher CFM rating then the baby T25 so you will make power. as for the front mount I say do it. as long as you have the ability of doing some of your own plumming i say do it. it will definalty help any turbo car.

RedZ

with in a Year and a hald I am hopping to have a T 3 Flange for a T3/4 hybrid Turbo

I have been looking at the manifolds and Cross over and where I could posibly put a suport mount to hold it up better.

I have also been looking into a Intercooler upgrade setup too.

I know that Jeff M has also been looking into it too.....PLease dont email him about it. let him get it perfected than he will let us know what he has FOund out and how to do it.

that is if I dont find out First. Muahaha

I would say, chop the flange and replace it with a T3 flange. T3 would be a good upgrade. Even if you run stock boost levels a T3 will have a higher CFM rating then the baby T25 so you will make power. as for the front mount I say do it. as long as you have the ability of doing some of your own plumming i say do it. it will definalty help any turbo car.

RedZ

Already in the works, as you may see from my post about turbo sizing, i see no point in the undersized efficency of the t25 and its variants. After working with other turbocharged cars, I think the t3 family is a very good place to start.

Guest TurboSedan

RedZ

Shane, i hope to be down in Loveland soon. i finally have my TGP crossover so i can look at the thing for myself. i WANT a T3 flange put on this thing! i don't even have a TGP T-25 so i don't think i'll bother with finding one. i'm broke right now, but hope to be back into this project soon. i can get a T3 from a junkyard T-bird for cheap cheap (as a core), what do you think? i'm a bit lost when it comes to turbo selection :?