Compressor Bypass Valve

turbojohn

if you plan on running any real amount of boost (over 14lbs) look into the crush mod for the bypass valve. there is a seal in there that is prone to leaking over a certain psi level.

Have any pictures of this crush valve? Where does it reside?

I'm not sure at this point how much boost I plan on putting at this engine. On my turbo bike, 30psi feels good. That engine has several specific components that enable it to handle that much compression. Of course Wiseco forged pistons are needed. The cylinder head is 1/2" thicker, two oil pumps, two oil pans, good exhaust valves. Anyway, the few moments when I've had my TGP running, I could hear some noise from the turbo sheering air when reving up and letting off the throttle. Not driving, so I imagine it's worse when making boost under load. That's why I thought this car needed a bypass valve. Kenny mentioned the Dodge Talon's bypass was a good unit (and inexpensive) Got my chip back Friday, yet to see what it does. I have noticed the secondary fan runs full time. I like that, keeps the intercooler happy :lol:

if you plan on running any real amount of boost (over 14lbs) look into the crush mod for the bypass valve. there is a seal in there that is prone to leaking over a certain psi level.

BULLSHIT!

DO NOT CRUSH A 1G DSM BLOW-OFF VALVE (what you have shown in the picture)! They are by far the best bang for the buck...especially on our TGP 12-14psi_g setups.

I have run 1G DSM BOVs with 20 psi_g without a single issue of leaking. As soon as you "crush" the valve you run into issues with it opening properly at lower boost levels.

Let me know how you like the chip. It arrived very late Wednesday and had it back on the pony express Thursday.

-Kenny

I'm not familer with "crushing" a bypass valve. Do I run over it or what? :lol: :lol:

Kenny I'm still working on the car. Probably won't be till November before it's ready to drive. Tonight I have scheduled to clean up the intercooler and boost hoses. Need to cut that bypass bracket off the Talon pipe and get it welded to the TGP's pipe. I'll make a flat spot like you mentioned, for a mounting pad. I wanted to ask you if the EGR is turned off. I'm going to disable it. If not, I'll be sending this chip back for additional programming when I get the T28 turbo...at some point. My finished list reads like a phone book already :lol:

Kenny, I have seen an a 1g dsm leak at 18psi on a (iirc) supra motor. he would be at full spool and you could feel it leaking. I said specifically if he's going to run over 14psi because at lower boost levels it will not release as fast as it would stock.

Good luck with the build, take pics as you go along.