For those with the 87-91 style EGR Valve...

gmrulz4u

Specifically, the "Integrated Electronic EGR Valve", not the digital one, when you look at the diaphragm itself with the engine off, does it come down COMPLETELY to the base where the metal lip folds in? Or is there a few millimeters of space? Because I am kind of confused with my 89 Cutlass right now.

I just bought a new Actron OBDI Scanner for it, seen here:

cp91109111gm.jpg

And it works really good but I am not sure if my ECM is screwed or not. Why? Because when my engine is off, or running at idle, my EGR Position Sensor is saying that it's opened between 23-26%, sometimes it says 23, sometimes 24, sometimes 26. Even though the EGR Duty Cycle (Command from the ECM) is 0%!!

Now, besides the fact that the EGR valve itself or the pintle position sensor might be faulty, why in the hell is the ECM not recognizing this and setting a Code 32!?? The only codes I get here and there are 44 & 45 for the Lean or Rich condition. But my Service Manual specifically states that the ECM will set a code 32 if the EGR Duty Cycle does not match the EGR Valve Position (as reported back by the Pintle Sensor). I can even get it to be way off while driving if I sit and watch it closely ie. I can get it where I am cruising with barely any throttle and the ECM will command about a 15% EGR but the sensor still shows 26%, and STILL no code!

I have never seen the EGR Valve Position Sensor show less than 23% opened since I've been scanning it for 2 weeks now, engine on or off.

I thought it might be the EGR filter being plugged but that can't be because it's showing it's opened even with the engine off and the key just in the Run position, and therefore no vacuum to even pull the valve opened.

So what's going on here!!??? Is my ECM messed-up?? Is my valve bad?? Is the sensor in the valve bad?? Is there a bad connection?? I'm confused :cry:

Thanks everyone!