Windshield wiper adjustment help needed

GPX

My passenger side wiper on my '96 Cutlass seems to be adjusted one notch too far to the outside. It kind of flops off the outside edge of the windshield when it's running and doesn't pull down as far as I'd like when it's turned off. Is this on a splined shaft and do I need a special tool to get it off?

no take the plastic cap off of it and the undo the bolt, pop it off and move it over a notch or two, it is a splined shaft but not need for special tools. atleast that is the way mine on my '91 Z34 is, i assume it is the same setup.

Wish I could do that with my Cutty... The arms kinda bump each other and wont go down the last inch by themselves... There is a larger notch that allows them to go in only one posistion.

-remove bolt

-remove wiper arm

-replace wiper arm in correct position

-tighten bolt

-drink beer

Now I'm scared--nothing is ever that easy! There's got to be a Murphy's law that applies here. I think you just jinxed the shit out of me! Something's gonna break, I know it.

You will need a drill bit or a tough nail to get the arm off.... Lift the arm a bit and you will see a small hole near the bottom, insert the drill bit/nail into it and let go of the arm, it should stay up off the window a bit... Then just wiggle off.

You will need a drill bit or a tough nail to get the arm off.... Lift the arm a bit and you will see a small hole near the bottom, insert the drill bit/nail into it and let go of the arm, it should stay up off the window a bit... Then just wiggle off.

I just use a flathead screwdriver.... Its actually very easy to take on and off.

-remove bolt

-remove wiper arm

-replace wiper arm in correct position

-tighten bolt

-drink beer

Sweet, finally a legit reason to drink beer while working on my car. I can tell my wife that its in the instructions!

"Honey.... better bring me another cold one... this is gonna take awhile."

• 7 years later...

Bumping this old thread instead of starting a new one. Ive got the same problem and situation described by BXX a few posts up. On the CS there is only one position the wiper arm can go on the spline and both of my wipers travel off the windshield during travel. I had just removed them and the two covers exposing the wiper linkage to grease them up and to take care of some rust on the metal cover. Not sure how they got knocked out of whack but I couldn`t find out how to re-adjust them through the manual.

*By the book*

turn ign on

place wipers in *park* position

turn off ign

with a pin pushed thru both sides of arm release tension on the pivot

remove nut, pry up arm

to install *new* wiper arm place arm 1" below the *park ramp* that the wipers rest on when not in use,

remove pin to apply tension,

run wipers to check for proper sweep, (when vertical) left wiper is 1" to 1.5" from edge of glass, right wiper intersects with left wiper without contacting

Yup that's how you remove the wiper arm all right.:thumbsup:

I read that those black plastic guide wedges are also fixed to a spline and can shift causing this issue, getting them off can be difficult but I`ll give it a shot and see how it goes.