Info and advise needed

Steve LS

I've done a bit of research about the trannies and other stuff. You DEFINATELY want a 5 speed from a w-body car (Grand Prix/Cutlass/Lumina) because the clutch slave cylinder is different (among other things). It mounts to the trans different on the w-body than any other car. You could probably get a non w-body one to work...I'm not sure. The insides are mostly the same between the w-body and other 5 speeds though. The other difference is the intermediate shaft. On the w-body, it mounts to the trans using 3 bolts. On any other car, it just slides into the trans. This might not matter, but the shaft might be a different length and/or have different splines or diameter. You will need these things at least....

**From a w-body will be best**

-Transmission with intermediate shaft

-Axles (you may need to switch the ends of the shafts if you have ABS)

-Flywheel and NEW bolts

-NEW clutch (no throwout bushing needed)

-NEW trans mount (GM #14088170)

-NEW axle seals (one side (driver side) you will have no problem finding, the other side will be hard, so here is the GM part number-14092900)

-A new chip--the car will run, just not correctly. I am working on this with my car right now

Thats about all I can think of, if you need more info, go to my webiste and lok at the News section, there is a link to the 5-speed swap info.

Jason

Nice under the hood picture ! Great lookin car ! I didnt stay long or read - is that a custom turbo job ? I like the Cavalier its got the same kinda looks as our 2dr.H body LeSabre. Guess I'm going to let that TGP pass. Someday maybe. I really liked the car , it was clean too. I just didnt have the funds to get involved right now. would have been worth it but not now , maybe someday. Our latest is a 97 Oldsmobile LSS , fully loaded plus SC 3800. Its nice nice really nice , nice nice eaten rice !

75 Delta 88 Royal convertable

76 Delta 88 royal coupe

86 2dr. LeSabre Limited

86 Riviera

97 Oldsmobile LSS

Thanks for the input and keep up on those great cars ! :) I'll stop in from time to time.