why doesnt anyone love the lq1?

theoneliln

so i have been looking around and i found a couple of w's with some crazy shit done to the motors,but none have been of the 3.4 i was wondering if anyone has found or has heard of some crazy shit that some has actually done to the 3.4 that kinda blew your mind?

if found or seen pics plz post.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• Euro

• theoneliln

• Psych0matt

i love the LQ1. look on 60degreev6.com theres lotsa LQ1 freaks over there.

Coincidently they are all Feiro freaks too!

I think the main reason no one uses it as a platform for modding is because damn near everything you do to it is custom and expensive. There are very few bolt on parts for the LQ1 and the average person that mods just wants to bolt it on, they don't want to spend the time or money having custom parts made. That can get real pricey.

Jamie

the average gen1 W body owner is a kid with a hand-me-down car or cheap beater - and honestly not capable of the custom work required to make the LQ1 realize its potential. this is not meant as a shot to anyone, but it's true. years ago when i was a n00b driving teenager i had a hand-me-down lumina and i didn't know a damn thing about working on EFI cars. anyway you take the handful of hardcore guys who love these cars not because it's what they have or could afford, but for the love of the car itself and would have one no matter what their income(hence i bought a TGP and am selling the pimp caddy). out of this group there are still only a handful capable of doing so, and then out of the capable group there are enough people to count on one hand who are willing to put in the work and time to make their engine perform to the best of their ability.

which brings me to the L67 swap - the crutch of the GM FWD community. not fast enough? put in an L67. need a tune-up? L67. thermostat needs replaced? L67 swap. it's one of those things that is easy enough for a slightly experienced person to do, and the bolt-on support is large.

anyway i like the challenge of working with the 60* V6 platform in general and i love the LQ1. i only wish i could have used mine somewhere when the z34 rotted out.

well i mean dont get me wrong i love the lq1 i just would have loved to see ppl who appreciate it as much as i do.

i mean i dont have fucking money in the bank but once i do that lq1 that most ppl hate will blow ppls minds.

and thats simply why i havent done an l67 swap,its to cliche i guess..

lol

the average gen1 W body owner is a kid with a hand-me-down car or cheap beater - and honestly not capable of the custom work required to make the LQ1 realize its potential. this is not meant as a shot to anyone, but it's true. years ago when i was a n00b driving teenager i had a hand-me-down lumina and i didn't know a damn thing about working on EFI cars. anyway you take the handful of hardcore guys who love these cars not because it's what they have or could afford, but for the love of the car itself and would have one no matter what their income(hence i bought a TGP and am selling the pimp caddy). out of this group there are still only a handful capable of doing so, and then out of the capable group there are enough people to count on one hand who are willing to put in the work and time to make their engine perform to the best of their ability.

which brings me to the L67 swap - the crutch of the GM FWD community. not fast enough? put in an L67. need a tune-up? L67. thermostat needs replaced? L67 swap. it's one of those things that is easy enough for a slightly experienced person to do, and the bolt-on support is large.

anyway i like the challenge of working with the 60* V6 platform in general and i love the LQ1. i only wish i could have used mine somewhere when the z34 rotted out.

Sooo soo so true. IMO, I like 60* V6's. They have plenty of potential, just not owners with wallets with any money in them.

Oh, and I miss my Z34 also. I'm going to get another. No question about that.

One guy put L67 heads on his, then twincharged it. Whipple + T04E turbo.

WTF Car is that!?!?!?!

There's a guy on mymonte.com with a 96 Z34 with he custom made an UIM to bolt an M90 IIRC to

WTF Car is that!?!?!?!

Miko K's red cutty (unless theres someone else I'm missing). although I thought he did a full L67 swap first? maybe I'm dumb and it's not really him

Yeah he did a full L67 swap. Because he had the L67 in the car way before he had the turbo

Umm... I don't think L67, or L36 heads for that matter, would bolt up to a 3.4 block. Even if they did, custom upper and lower intake manifolds would have to be made, since the 3800 is definately not a 60* V6.

Plus, why would someone put heads on there vehicle that flow far far less than what the stock 3.4 heads flow?

Umm... I don't think L67, or L36 heads for that matter, would bolt up to a 3.4 block. Even if they did, custom upper and lower intake manifolds would have to be made, since the 3800 is definately not a 60*

V6.

that's obviously a problem, but...

Plus, why would someone put heads on there vehicle that flow far far less than what the stock 3.4 heads flow?

head flow isn't as important in boosted engines. ever notice that boosted engines usually run mild cams?

Umm... I don't think L67, or L36 heads for that matter, would bolt up to a 3.4 block. Even if they did, custom upper and lower intake manifolds would have to be made, since the 3800 is definately not a 60*

V6.

that's obviously a problem, but...

head flow isn't as important in boosted engines. ever notice that boosted engines usually run mild cams?

Very true. Generally mild or even stock cams.

But... as far as putting, say even, L36 heads on a 3.4 block, would just be hurting performance, even if it was at all possible.