3400 build... ITS RUNNING!!!

19Cutlass94

I duno... I just enjoy working on it while the time lasts.

But getting back in topic lol..... this engine should run pretty good. I might take it down the track once or twice im hopes of getting a good time and not blowing the tranny :lol: and I need to get a dyno sheet on it too as Ive got several requests to see what it puts down... But depending on weather, Im hoping to get it in by Feb. Last time I put an engine in, I was helping John and it was like 20* out and snowing... I deff dont wanna do that again :lol:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• MonteCarloDude

I got the manifolds on, the x-over on, and the heat shields all painted up. I went to look at powdercoating on friday, and they were pretty much done... just need to be cleared, which I believe they were on friday. So *hopefully* this week Ill be picking them up and posting pics of the finished engine.

But for now, heres where Im at:

Picture-05127.jpg

Picture-05126.jpg

Picture-05125.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I got my powdercoating!!!!!!!!1111oneoneoene

well everything except for the plenum cause they had to fix it still and clear it. But now I can get this motor put together!

Might I suggest (a day late and a dollar short maybe) to do an OBDII swap while you are at it so that you can get a decent tune to go with your engine swap and mods.

Beacause even basic stuff like the stock shiftpoints are crap for even a bone stock 3100................and you'll end up shortshifting the shit out of a cammed 3400 doing it that way.

Not to mention potential power gains etc.

That will have to come later on down the road. Especially since DHP discontinued their tuner. I can get this engine running very well with what I have to work with ;)

But I want to learn more about the OBDII swap and about tuning before I dive in the deep end.

That will have to come later on down the road. Especially since DHP discontinued their tuner. I can get this engine running very well with what I have to work with ;)

But I want to learn more about the OBDII swap and about tuning before I dive in the deep end.

Just go straight to HP Tuners. A little more $$ but they're still in business, never had any issues getting it to work with a car (costs credits, not "wide open" [use that term loosely, many cars aren't available unless you request a compatible file]like DHP) and it does work with a '97 PCM.

I agree that HP Tuners is the way to go...............nothing WRONG with DHP, but HP Tuners just seems to have more capability.

Plus it's still sold brand new :wink:

As for OBDII stuff.........here's a short thread with a little info for you (this is L Body specific, but some info WILL be useful):

http://www.bstuff.com/index.php?showtopic=47614

Also search around on Bstuff.........they have had at least 2-3 OBDII swap threads, a couple of which got quite long.

Ill look into all that stuff!

I know I can get a premade harness, but Id still have to wire up the OBDII port. So thats money right there, then the HP tuner is money, and I wanna get a new tranny as well. I just dont have the money for all of this! :willynilly: :lol:

But well see how she runs and if she forces me to swap earlier than planned. Although I dont predict any problems.

You gotta add in two wires to install an OBD2 port. One is the second data wire, the other is switched ignition (or something simple like that) that you can grab from under the column. I have a few people asking me for information on the swap I did, I really should get on that.

I would be one of those people! :mrgreen: BTW Brian do you know anything about nitrous? Contemplating spraying the GP :burnout: but if you were running lean with just a cam I don't know. :confused: You seem like you have dabbled in all sorts of stuff. PM me if you like.