3400 build... ITS RUNNING!!!

19Cutlass94

Horray for top end tick... the one thing i hate about my motor :lol:

awesome to see it in and running jay!!!

Retoque the rockers via GM's TSB and it will go away.. After I did some LIM on a 198K Lumina, I retorqued the rockers via the TSB and it was the quitest valvetrain I have ever heard

no shit? i will have to give that a try when/if i do the 3400 top swap. :high5:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• MonteCarloDude

Well just crusing around, the most the motor has seen is 3000RPM. I dont dare go higher until I get about 2-3 oil changes. After this oil change Ill be switching to RP. But hopefully sometime this week Ill datalog it and see where the fuel trims are and see what everything looks like.

Right now ( with the drive to a friends out I took tonight ) Ive got a little over 100miles on the motor.

Ok. I have a 3100 from my 96.. and i know were a 3400 is.. What do i need?..

If you wanna swap the whole engine... just the engine. All the small parts you can take off your 3100. Theres really nothing thats much different on the 3400's than the 3100's.

The swap was ALOT easier than I thought it was going to be.

Well then you'd wanna do a top end swap. You can get heads, but if not, just the intakes and throttle body. Youll have to find out if the LIM has a threaded of pressed in coolant hose. Youll need that hose if its pressed in, as I believe yours is threaded.

^& what he said.

Also the MAP sensor bracket, alternator "brace" (little black support piece), that's really it. Maybe the vacuum lines and breather tube also the EGR and pipe if it's a '00+ 3400.

^& what he said.

Also the MAP sensor bracket, alternator "brace" (little black support piece), that's really it. Maybe the vacuum lines and breather tube also the EGR and pipe if it's a '00+ 3400.

x2, i checked this out on 60degreev6, and that is all there is to it, i am hopeing to get the top swap done on the monte done some day soon. :lol:

Its an 03 grand am 3400 Ram air. This will be funnnn... heads might be kinda hard to get though.

i dont see how the heads would be hard to get. :dunno: are you going to send them to a machine shop to have any work done?

just use your original heads. You have the roller rockers already, and the ports are almost exactly the same. The '03 3400 heads have larger valve guides (not going to matter) and use M6 metric rocker bolts (vs the M8's you have now)

just use your original heads. You have the roller rockers already, and the ports are almost exactly the same. The '03 3400 heads have larger valve guides (not going to matter) and use M6 metric rocker bolts (vs the M8's you have now)

i think they have bigger intake valves as well.

EDIT: they do,

The 2000+ 3100 heads had larger intake valves (just slightly) and all 3400 heads had the larger intake valves.

The 2000+ 3100 heads had larger intake valves (just slightly) and all 3400 heads had the larger intake valves.

Yeah 1.76" vs 1.72". If it's that big of a deal then swap em :) just makes it not a super easy swap anymore.

Yeah 1.76" vs 1.72". If it's that big of a deal then swap em :) just makes it not a super easy swap anymore.

i agree about not swaping the heads, i did not know about the larger valve guides and rocker bolts, i guess you learn something new every day. :smile:

the large port heads have the roof raised about 1/8", and the larger 1.76" intake valves.from the flow testing I have done the large port heads flow about 20 cfm more than the small port heads on the intake side. exhaust flow is the same.

Yeah I know hence my "almost exactly the same" but the head to LIM ports will still line up enough to seal the gaskets and not be a problem. I've measured casting variances around half that amount. Did the LIM ports ever change with it (head side)?

Still good to know that they technically flow more. I don't remember seeing flow numbers comparing the early to late heads before.

I had (have) the flow sheets on 60V6 somewhere. The 170 and 487 castings flow more than the older small port stuff. I don't remember it being 20 cfm but its a noticeable amount through the lift points. The casting quality just isn't the same, especially the consistency around the guide.

• 3 weeks later...

So just an update, the first tank of gas I got 21.5mpg and the second tank ( which I just filled up today ) I got 23.9mpg. And with both tanks, the car was ran pretty hard too!

Ive also noticed for some strange reason the car seems to run better on 89 than on 87?