tranny surging/slipping? 4t65-E

Nick1234

I'll find out for sure in the next few days. I have to drive about 15 minutes to one place tomorrow sometime, drive around for class, and then Friday drive 30 minute down the highway. I figure somewhere in that time period I should be able to tell.

well i think it is the pressure control solenoid. it kept doing it tonight. it was fine all week. the computer should have learned the shit by now. god damn this thing. and there is no way i can test this on my own.

My car had the PCS issue as well when I got it. It would shudder on an upshift at WOT.

There is a different solenoid for the TCC actuation, actually 2 solenoids. But only one can really be causing the surging problem. IT's the PWM TCC solenoid. Those have been known to stick as well, just like the PCS.

And I'm glad at least your car is better Slick!!!!

My car had the PCS issue as well when I got it. It would shudder on an upshift at WOT.

There is a different solenoid for the TCC actuation, actually 2 solenoids. But only one can really be causing the surging problem. IT's the PWM TCC solenoid. Those have been known to stick as well, just like the PCS.

And I'm glad at least your car is better Slick!!!!

so really i need to just wait for this thing to not work anymore? what about seafoam and a fluid change?

I'm not too sure what to do about the TCC PWM solenoid. other then replace it.

but I got around the sticking PCS by using a tech 2 and increasing the pressure and watching a gauge (as per the bulletin). After cycling through the pressures 4 times I noticed the sticking wasn't as bad. so I cycled the PCS another 30 times or so until there wasn't any noticeable sticking. And yeah, haven't had a problem with the PCS since then. lol

EDIT: I doubt the seafoam would do anything (is it even safe to put in transmissions?), a flush may help ever so slightly. but the debris in the solenoid needs to be cleared to fix the problem.

I'm not too sure what to do about the TCC PWM solenoid. other then replace it.

but I got around the sticking PCS by using a tech 2 and increasing the pressure and watching a gauge (as per the bulletin). After cycling through the pressures 4 times I noticed the sticking wasn't as bad. so I cycled the PCS another 30 times or so until there wasn't any noticeable sticking. And yeah, haven't had a problem with the PCS since then. lol

EDIT: I doubt the seafoam would do anything (is it even safe to put in transmissions?), a flush may help ever so slightly. but the debris in the solenoid needs to be cleared to fix the problem.

well buddy looks like your just gonna have to do it again!!! ill see you monday.

sean where do you hook the guage up to? was yours doing it all the time? or just every once in a while. like i drove allllllllllll last week without one problem, then came home from work friday morning around 4 am and bam, another 500 rpm increase with tc locked.

The main line pressure port is near the top of the transmission and slightly towards the back.

-The PCS problem (shuddering on an upshift at WOT) happened about 1/2 the time on WOT upshifts.

-The TCC problem was happening anytime I increased the load on the engine with the TCC engaged.

When you say a 500 rpm increase, was it a steady 500rpm increase? or was it going up and down constantly?

The main line pressure port is near the top of the transmission and slightly towards the back.

-The PCS problem (shuddering on an upshift at WOT) happened about 1/2 the time on WOT upshifts.

-The TCC problem was happening anytime I increased the load on the engine with the TCC engaged.

When you say a 500 rpm increase, was it a steady 500rpm increase? or was it going up and down constantly?

it used to surge at first. like the first day i noticed it. but now going down the freeway, going about 65 is at about 1800, i hit the gas, torque converter still locked, and it goes to about 2300-2400 and holds there while the car accelerates...

Your problem might actually be normal. Around 98-99 GM switched the TCC setup that never completely locked up. This was to prevent any drivetrain feedback into the car. So when you accelerate with the TCC locked the rpms will increase slightly. The thing I'm not too sure about is what the spec if for the rpm increase.