Newbie needs help

Clarke33

I have been looking for a Cutlass 'Vert for a while and have found a '95 a few miles from me. The woman who owns it doesn't know if it's a 3.1 or 3.4. The car has 133K miles supposedly has never been wrecked and runs good but does have a few odds and ends that need to be fixed(all minor). The car has a new top in the box and she said her bottom dollar is $2500. What do yall think? She told me she didn't think the timing belt has ever been changed. Any help as to what to look for will be greatly appreciated :smile:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clarke33

• ManicMechanic

• DOHCRagtopguy

• IRONDOG442

Easy way to tell:

3.4 cars have lip spoilers, matching taillights, dual exhausts with 4 round tips and DOHC badges on the front fenders behind the marker light.

3100 cars have rounded taillights, single exhaust and no badges.

The reason I haven't looked at it yet is because it is an hour and a half drive to look at it. Looking at the pictures she emailed, the car must be a 3.1 car. I couldn't see duals or a lip spoiler. To be honest I had hoped to find a 3.4 car. I am not in a big hurry and can wait to find the right car. On the other hand if this car would be a screamin' deal at $2500 I would still consider it. By the sounds of it this is just a so so deal.

I test drove a 95 dohc today. they want $7000. It started misfiring and backfiring during a test drive. YUCK!

gorgeous metallic green with balkc top blakc leather SWRC, (which I forgot to test) an all Pioneer radio and speakers. got the info for you Jay!

saw a red 92 that needs. EVERYTHING today. yours for $400. it's in a j/y. got that info too!

there is a 95 CS vert in bedford, In for sale I saw in the paper. I should call!

Keep looking, you'll find a 3.4 powered one. Be patient.

I am in no hurry at all. I've got a little money put back and when I find the right car I am going to get it. I am 52 and have been fooling with cars since my teens. I sold my '66 Skylark convertible a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. This time around I want to play with a v6 to have a little fun. Of course I'll have to keep my HHR for the gas mileage. I bought it in '06 and added a sway bar, CAI w/ outlaw filter, re-flashed ECM, turbo muffler, etc. I figure if I do the same to a 3.4 it would be a slick ride.

Wow, another 52 YO on W-body?!? That's great, so am I!! I've been futzing around with cars since my teens also so I can absolutely relate. I love my 3.4, remember the old Rochester Quadrajets? That's kind of what mine reminds me of when I have it at WOT blasting down the road. I drilled lots of holes in the lower airbox.

In the old days I had several Impala SS cars. Remember when you could set points with a match-pack and a screwdriver? Hell, these young 'uns probably don't even know what points are.

So now maybe I am not the resident Opa on W-body. :lol:

Good luck in your search for that 3.4 Cutty ragtop, it will be well worth the wait. Watch e-bay, a lot go through there.

Whereabouts are you located at?

good luck in your search lol i just find it kinda funny that when i was looking for my car i didnt even know what it was what it had all i knew was that it had leather and every option and looked good and seemed to run good but now that i know what it is im so glad i made the chioce i did.

Wow, another 52 YO on W-body?!? That's great, so am I!! I've been futzing around with cars since my teens also so I can absolutely relate. I love my 3.4, remember the old Rochester Quadrajets? That's kind of what mine reminds me of when I have it at WOT blasting down the road. I drilled lots of holes in the lower airbox.

In the old days I had several Impala SS cars. Remember when you could set points with a match-pack and a screwdriver? Hell, these young 'uns probably don't even know what points are.

So now maybe I am not the resident Opa on W-body. :lol:

Good luck in your search for that 3.4 Cutty ragtop, it will be well worth the wait. Watch e-bay, a lot go through there.

Whereabouts are you located at?

My B'day is in early March so I may even be older than you :eek: The old Quadrajet, I thought, was a pretty good carb as long as it was adjusted right. I have to admit though, I was known to use a Spread Bore Holley a good bit due to the fact it was much easier to rebuild. I also have owned a '62 SS, '64 SS, and a '65 Impala but my first car in high school was a '66 Fairlane GT convertible 390 4 speed. Wonder I didn't get Killed.

You're right about the points. Who needed a feeler gauge when you had a match book? Not to be offensive to anyone here but I bet there a lots of guys here that wouldn't have a clue as to how to set the gap in a non electronic distributor.

The woman that has the '95 vert emailed to tell me a couple of people have looked at the car but she has had no takers at $2500. It is a 3.1 car so I think I am going to pass. I don't see many around my neck of the woods here in North Alabama(Huntsville), but like I said before, I will take my time and try to get a deal on the car I want. Is it reasonable to think I could get a fairly nice one in the $3500 range?

Hell yes. For $3500 you can probably find a really nice one. I paid $5K for my 93 four years ago when it only had 66K miles on it. There's quite a few on e-Bay from time to time down in Florida, that's not too far from Alabama.

I had 3 66 SS cars and two 65 SS cars. All but one had 327 engines in them, boy could those mouse motors run! The last one had a 396, I bought it to restore, but it was a lot worse than what I could handle and I had a real bad year where the wife lost her job and had to sell it. What a terrible day that was. Two guys came out from Ohio and packed it up on their trailer. I had wet eyes, I'll tell you that.

How do you like your HHR, what kind of mileage do you get on it?

Oh, my birthday is in November, by the way. Hey, you are as young as you feel! :lol:

[me=ManicMechanic]is 30 and knows how to adjust points and even tri power Pontiac carbs... [/me]

I didn't say everyone :lol: I tried 3 carters on a small block chevy once but it never really ran right. I actually prefered big blocks for the throw Ya back in the seat torque.

Say, this one is in Murfeesboro, TN

http://nashville.craigslist.org/car/384371718.html

He's dropped the price $1000 since he's had it for sale, might go another $1000.

I think it's a 3100 car though.

Here's a 1994 that needs an engine for $700 in Atlanta.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/387080780.html

Another '94, this one is in nice shape and a 3.4 $4400 OBO

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/365263954.html

Carters, Holleys and myself never got along. lol I always went with a Q-jet. Though my 1977 LeMans 455 has a Holley Pro-Jection fuel injection system.

I had already called on the one in TN and the guy sounded as if he would be flexible on the money but he said the car had a "little" rust in it. I think we have all heard that one before. :rolleyes:

Ah, yeah...You can sometimes find a nice rust free car here in Texas for around $2000, but it is going to need some work. Mine is COMPLETELY rust free and I bought it for $1300...I could have had another, a 1994 3.4 car with a white interior for $1200, but I convinced her to let me fix it and I'll buy it from her when she is ready to sell.

I just called the guy in Atlanta and he said his bottom dollar was $4000 and it had to be sold tomorrow. He said he had sold his house and moved to another state and was flying in tomorrow to either sell it or drive it back to where he moved to. It has 99K miles with new paint, which always worries me. Supposedly everything is great except for the after market alarm system, which seems to drain the battery every2 to 3 days. Oh Yeah, and the after market keyless entry that quit working when he tried to disable the alarm system. Oh, and one other thing, the keyless entry made the power mirrors quit working. HMMMM