Gas Spilling out everytime I fill the tank?

gmrulz4u

That's right, everytime I fill the tank, I can hear and see gas down near the wheel well spill out all over the place? It's not coming out of the filler hole, somewhere behind the rear drivers quarter panel...I would say about a quarter litre everytime...

Anyone know what it could be?? It never leaks any other time or in any other circumstances...

THANKS!:)

If you can get under there check out your filler neck. Mine was pretty rusty when I was under the car last week. There is also a rubber hose about 10" long between the filler neck and the tank, its entirely possible that that hose came loose.

Thats about all I can think of, if it was a leaky tank it would leak at other times too...

Jamie

If the filler neck has some rust on it ... thats a good sign there maybe some additional rust in that area you havent spotted.

My filler neck on the 88' was bad, now the lines that pressurize the tank are gone. I'm talking desintegrated. The rear area behind the wheelwell gets a lot of updraft from the road without any direct spray. So when you drive along what wafts up there from the road stays there. If your in an area which gets salted then that area will retain moisture and salt. The front wheel wells get blasted but what goes on usually comes right off.

I'd take a good look around the tank area. You maybe due for a tank change because the top of the tank rots as well.

Our tanks (or at least on my '96 Cutty) are stamped upside down, IMO. They put the "lip" of the tank facing up, so dirt/salt/shit from the road sits on that lip. It's entirely possible that the very top of the tank (near the filler hole I believe) it could have rusted out if stuff was sitting on the tank.

How could the tank it's self rot? The tank is plastic on my 96...

You have a plastic tank??? are you sure???? I've never seen a plastic tank on a 1st gen w-body. And I tried finding one when i replaced my tank a few months back.

I doubt its the tank though, if it only leaks when you fill it then its probably the filler neck...

Jamie

http://cgi.ebay.ca/88-91-89-90-OLDS-CUTLASS-SUPREME-FUEL-GAS-TANK_W0QQitemZ8046803705QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33556QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Example only.

My 93' is sitting in the driveway with a perfectly brand new gas tank... replaced in March of last year. Everything but the straps was replaced. Total was like $750.

:(::::

How could the tank it's self rot? The tank is plastic on my 96...

You have a plastic tank??? are you sure???? I've never seen a plastic tank on a 1st gen w-body. And I tried finding one when i replaced my tank a few months back.

I doubt its the tank though, if it only leaks when you fill it then its probably the filler neck...

Jamie

Fairly sure... when I had my fuel pump replaced I asked if the tank had any rust, and he said no it's a plastic tank, but he did look inside for any shit buildup and there was nothing. I haven't seen it myself.

Here are my instructions on how to change the filler tube:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/606907/4

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page, and you'll see the section, or just do a search.

Make sure you have a nice thick blanket or lawn chair pillow for your floor, as you will be laying on your back for a long time trying to get that thing in and out through the suspension.