Quick 'Throttle Valve Cable' Question...

gmrulz4u

I have been trying to adjust this thing forever now, it's just so damn hard to get to being tucked way down and behind the plenum! Anyways, I can REACH it with a screw driver, impossible by hand, but I think that what I always that was the adjustment button was actually not it at all? When I look down at the adjuster housing I see a black plastic square that looks like a button, I push down on it with a screw driver and it feels and looks like it's going down a bit but nothing happens.

Now, when I look at all the pictures online of the adjustment button it seems like it's supposed to be an all metal button in the shape of a "D" and is on the SIDE of the adjuster housing and NOT the top!? In other words the button is facing the firewall, and not facing UP towards the hood, is this true??

Here's some pics I'm referring to:

jeep_tvc_adj_576b.gif

cable%20adjust.jpg

Is this what the TV Cable on an 89 Cutlass is supposed to look like as well??

THANKS!:)

my '89 Cutlass had a black button. You have to push it down hard, then push the cable sheathing towards it to reset it. I usually stuck a screwdriver down and pressed the button with that.

Thanks Brian...

What exactly is the "cable sheathing"? Is that the hard casing that goes around the actual cable itself?

I always thought you're supposed to slide the entire plastic part that has the button on it to the rear, ie away from the throttle body?

Thanks Brian...

What exactly is the "cable sheathing"? Is that the hard casing that goes around the actual cable itself?

I always thought you're supposed to slide the entire plastic part that has the button on it to the rear, ie away from the throttle body?

Yeah that's the sheathing. I think pushing the sheathing in does the same thing as pushing the plastic part. Either way it's worked for me, but I haven't done that in years.