What's this harness for?

gmrulz4u

On an 89 Cutlass Supreme, if you remove your air cleaner housing/assembly, you'll see a 3 pin harness that contains a Light Green wire with a Black stripe, a Dark Green wire, and a Black wire with a White stripe, but it's just sitting there and not plugged into anything. It comes out of the same loom that has the little harness going into the transmission...

Anyone know??

I think it's just there for older models that still use the MAF(Mass Air Flow) rather than the updated MAP system...

Sorry I didn't realize it was that hard to picture a 3-pin plug/harness in your head?? I thought it was common sense as to what one looks like...seeing as there's about 30 in the engine compartment itself...nevermind...

Sorry I didn't realize it was that hard to picture a 3-pin plug/harness in your head?? I thought it was common sense as to what one looks like...seeing as there's about 30 in the engine compartment itself...nevermind...

:roll:

Which is EXACTLY why a picture of it would help.

I doubt that's it. The 88 had MAF and was upgraded, but it only has 1 harness with 5(?) wires in a row. It didn't have 2 separate connectors. That must be for something else. I seem to recall there is some kind of A/C pressure sensor in that area. The '88 had a loose connector there and I also noticed a naked schrader valve on the A/C system. When comparing to my '89, the '89 has a sensor on the schrader and the same harness plugged into it. So when I went to the JY, I bought a sensor and attached it to the schrader and the harness plugged right in. Then all the refrigerant leaked out and I blamed it on the sensor and removed it. :lol:

It may have been an A/C low side pressure sensor and I'm not sure what its purpose was since the A/C worked fine without it. You might check to see if you have a schrader valve with no cap in the vicinity.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you guys are right with the A/C suggestion. I'm pretty sure it does look exactly like the harness/plug that goes to the MAP Sensor.

I don't see any missing caps for any schrader valves etc...