95 Grand Prix - Driver's side window off it's track

Phaedrus

Hey guys,

I have a 95 Grand Prix GTP. The other day when rolling up the driver's side window, the window started going up crooked then popped off it's track at the rear and jammed. I'm lucky it didn't break. I jostled it back into position, pushed it back into the track, and helped it roll up. It rolls down fine, but when I go to roll it up, it looks like it's only the back of the window is being pushed up causing it to go crooked.

I haven't taken the dor apart yet, but what am I likely to find broken in there? Is this common (like the stupid broken armrest hinge)? Thanks!

probably a broken plastic piece. Hopefully an easy fix like squeezing the track together

x2 you might have to squeeze the track to tighten it;s grip on the window edge. if the clip has seperated, windshild eurothane is the best to glue it back on.

probably a broken plastic piece. Hopefully an easy fix like squeezing the track together

PLASTIC!?!?!

goddamn!!... the one in the Ranger thats off the track is because a pin rusted and the assembly is messed. It may have rusted one spot but a window regulator with plastic parts is crazy considering the amount of twisting going on with the weight of a window coupled with an electric motor.

PLASTIC!?!?!

goddamn!!... the one in the Ranger thats off the track is because a pin rusted and the assembly is messed. It may have rusted one spot but a window regulator with plastic parts is crazy considering the amount of twisting going on with the weight of a window coupled with an electric motor.

x2. my neighbor slammed my door last year and she broke the whole clip off the front of the window. I still have the window in my basement because i replaced the whole window. :mad: i had tried to make the piece stick back on but it wouldnt

My windows used to be notorious for coming off track (coupe) so you may be dealing with the same issues I was.

After two and a half years of pulling the door panel, rolling the window down, popping it back onto the track, a ton of grease and frustration, I finally put it back on, rolled the window up, and pulled on the track toward the rear end of the car... I was hoping that would add more pressure and therefore make the window less likely to pop off track say... while I was rolling it down.

Since then, it has not come off track one single time. (window motors are both brand new as of two days ago... after someone slammed my door and knocked a motor right off the door lol)

It is a coupe. I'll give this a shot, adding pressure to the track. Can anyone give me a brief rundown on what's gotta come off of the door panel before I pop it off? Thanks alot!!!

There are a series of screws around the outside of the door. Also, if its like mine, where the seatbelt drops into the door there is a small piece that pops out, and a screw (or two) inside of it. Also, look under the door, pop off the cover for the seat belt at the bottom, more screws in there.

Remove door light (ya know the one you see when you open it so cars dont hit it) mine you have to pop off the cover of the light, then use a flathead screwdriver to move the little plastic lever deals that keep it clipped in, then another screw in there behind it that affixes it to the door.

the lock switchplate should have one screw in the center, then behind it on the door panel, there's another. Remove the lock/window control switchplate (mine is two torx screws) There is a larger torx that goes in behind there, a main structure load bearing bolt, and also another one that goes diagnoally up into the underside of the armrest (about where you grab to open it, just look for a hole that goes into darkness.

I can't rember the torx sizes, I just have my bit set arranged so the first two are the ones I need.

Once all those bolts are free, there are plastic keeper "magic" clips in the door too. CAREFULLY slip your fingers in behind the panel and pop it loose around the outside. I start at the bottom but I dont think that really matters. If it doesnt seem to slip free pretty easily, you're missing a screw. Just look around, sometimes they hide.

I think you said yours was a 95, so I'm not entirely familar with the removal of your door panel, but it stands to reason that it shouldn't be too much different than mine.

Oh yeah, keep track of all your screws. You will hate yourself forever if you lose any.

• 5 weeks later...

So, to rez this thread....

I took the door all apart and found that the part that's glued to the back of the window that slides up and down inside the track is totally worn. No amount of adjusting the front track helped...it still pops out. Is this part replacable without replacing the whole glass? It's pretty stupid that the window is only supported/lifted from the back...all other cars I've worked on support the window at the front and the back so a system like this is not needed.

• 7 years later...

Old thread, but I had the same problem. Dealt with it falling off track for a year.

Went and got a replacement glass/side window at the salvage yard, popped it in and problem solved.

So I am guessing the plastic guides on the window itself were too wore down.

Thought it might help anyone who comes across the same problem.