W-body engine pull

PCGUY112887

Ah! Finally got it out!

Turns out that left side bracket... well if you unbolt it from the trans, there are 2 bolts. But if you unbolt it from the block, there are 2 bolts towards the top, and 1 down towards the bottom of the engine. I did not see this 1 lower bolt! So about 5 hours of fighting for that. After I undid that, it came right out.

hoist.jpg

meengine.jpg

• Like 1

Bump, if anyone can do a quick write up of dropping everything from the bottom instead of pulling from the top, please do! I'd like to add this to the FAQ sometime in the near future.

Quick question guys...

Long story short, you know the 3 mounting points for the bottom motor mount? One facing out from the crank pulley, and 2 verticle ones on either side of the oil pan?

Well a friend of mine was trying to get in the front one, and managed to F the threads up inside there. I have the other 2 bolts on, but the front one isn't going on short of me finding a unique way of putting it in there, or pulling the engine again to fix the thread (which I do NOT want to do!).

Think it will be fine with 2 bolts? Any other suggestions?

Ugh... damn me and my 3500 ideas.

Eh I really don't know, it's fairly tight in there. I know I could get it fixed if I pulled the engine again... but I am REALLY trying to avoid that...

If it was the back bolt, or the side bolt I'd say F-it. But the front one may be a problem, considering the way the engine twists when driving hard. You might be ok but if it were me, I wouldn't chance it.

Well I got the front bolt in, now I have some other issues... headers hit the firewall fairly hard, and the oil filter isn't going to fit with the neck on there for the 3500.

oil_filter.jpg

Oil filter neck only allows the oil filter to be a few inches... because the subframe is under it.

headersfit.jpg

headersfit2.jpg

Headers fit the firewall real hard, make it real hard to pull the engine forward enough to get the top dog bone mounts to bolt up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh sorry guys, forgot to update ya!

Got everything in, got the headers to clear... only thing I am missing is the lower bolt on the AC compressor, that seems fine. That and the very bottom bolt on the bracket that connects the engine block to the pass. side of the tranny. It's impossible to line that bolt up on the 3500 without some big work to the mount.

One of the things that is buggin me now is that the headers hit the firewall a bit, they vibrate somewhere on it around 1700-2500 RPM's... I need to get something done about it.

Pics...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got an exhaust on too, 2.5" back, no cat, to dual 2.5" hooker aerochambers...

Yeah, it definetly tempts me to paint my upper intake black as well. Looks like a satin black too?

looks like it to me. i normally like polished UIM's, but that looks fucking sweet in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I keep missing replies to my threads, I have notifications turned off by accident!

Yes it's a satin black, Duplicolor high heat satin black to be exact. It smells great when the engine gets hot, the paint basically cooks on (in a good way) and it smells for a while till it's done "cooking".

Same smell you get with header paint when you cook the headers :eek:

I just got my title and insurance and everything today for this beast, have been working on electrical (sound system, gauges, etc). It's hard to work/go to school/do this. I will be posting more pics soon!

Oh sorry guys, forgot to update ya!

Got everything in, got the headers to clear... only thing I am missing is the lower bolt on the AC compressor, that seems fine. That and the very bottom bolt on the bracket that connects the engine block to the pass. side of the tranny. It's impossible to line that bolt up on the 3500 without some big work to the mount.

One of the things that is buggin me now is that the headers hit the firewall a bit, they vibrate somewhere on it around 1700-2500 RPM's... I need to get something done about it.

Pics...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got an exhaust on too, 2.5" back, no cat, to dual 2.5" hooker aerochambers...

thats nice and a job well done :mrgreen: