My new Semi High Performance na 3.1 Build -!Engine Done- Car is running!

Mach 5

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• Brian P

• gp90se

• IRONDOG442

I *THINK* that's the cam that Ben used on his 3.1 way, way back in the day. I don't know how it will be. I don't think he liked it much. The fact that it advertises idle lope, along with a relatively low valve lift, I don't know. Minimum I'd say run the 1.6 ratio rockers to bump lift up to .470/.470, but that is your discretion. The Crane cams are popular because they do work very well.

wait u paying for the port and polishing and stuff or u did it urself? im sorta new here just wondering wanted to no the total out put price, plus ur doing just the top end or u plan on working on the bottom end to?

For porting, I used a Dremel with a tool used for cast iron and a stone bit to smooth it out. Just watch because the aluminum can actually melt onto the stone bit.

Im keeping the topend from the 89 3.1 because with the right porting it will get the job done, a 3100-3400 topend is too much custom work for me, and I like the way it looks.

For the valves, Im having a shop (scorpian race engines) perform a 3 angle valve job and mill the head down so its perfectly flat.

Besides this, I will order the parts when I have all the money and then some just in case something gets in my way.

Jarek

thanks i cant do any thing to my motor yet i got to wait until my fiance gives birth but for now im going to take care the boddy rot i have, i have to replace my quator panels and rocker panels plus the guy who doing the job is going to re do my uniboddy as an added bonus i baught molding for a a 93 to put on my car it looks better than the crappy thin strip. also plan on getting a spoiler and the car is being painted as well so everything will look nice

• 4 weeks later...

Got some parts ordered: Awesome!

-Hastings rings- (0.0)

-Clevite Tri-Metal Bearings- both Rod and Main- (0.0)

-Solid Engine Mount

-Felpro Gaskets

-Duralast Water Pump

-Cylinder Heads were machined by G+R Perfomance Engines located in West Babylon, NY. They did a decent job. I was going to go to the other place but, it was out of budget and Im already over on the budget.

-Also I would like to thank Brian P for the awesome set of rockers that he sold me. They are 1.6 ratio. I can't wait to put them on!

-The intake manifold has been painted black on the outside only. The Plenum is going to be painted black as well and it will be polished on the raised flat sections and the word "Multi port" will be polished also. I am also going to paint the markings "3.1" and "FI" in Red. I think it would look cool with that.

-The cam is going to be a Comp CSV-6 260H-10 which has a power band of 1,000 to 5,000, .440 lift, 260 duration, 212 at .05" lift, and it comes with everything. This will be ordered next week.

--I will gladly take any sort of questions and/or ___Helpful___ advice or criticizm. Don't be BSin'

Jarek

I am just going to toss this in, but its pretty common knowledge. The 3.1 intakes do not flow at all top end (over 4500 rpm) and even with a good port/polish job, there really isn't much room in there to flow air. I ported the intake on my 3.1, and yes it did help slightly, but again, not much room to do much. If you could fab up an intake or cut the plenum open and extrude hone the plenum, you'd see a whole lot more power up top.

BTW I'm thrilled to see a built 189 CID built up, if you could do a dyno pull once its all said done and tuned, id love to see it.

-I was looking into the whole extrude honing process and it looks interesting. But, how much $ and how long would it take to for the uppers and lowers to be done... or at lest the plenum? Like I said Im running out of cash. I assume that the porting I did is going to help.

- You can count on me for pics. Ill just set the camera to multiple and presto, an instant 1,000 pics at the blink of an eye.

-For updates on my cardomain check the link in my signature. I just updated that since I found that I mixed up the 2 last numbers in the link and I got somebody else car.

Jarek

your a dremel fan...even better lol

Go to your local junkyard, get an 89-90 plenum (88-90 if you don't mind it saying 2.8) and hack the thing open. I would suggest cutting the bottom off, removing as much meat as you feel comfortable doing, and either having someone tig it back together, JB weld it or weld it with a torch, soder and flux. This would give you much more access to the runners in the plenum, which I'd consider removing (like a single plane intake, but the lower intake will still give you some runner length). When putting the bottom back on, put it on a little offset giving more plenum volume.

My local yard charges me $15 for plenums if you have a problem finding one :)

isn't it cast though? I don't think you can weld cast. Maybe Im wrong. If I have to, I will just get out my flexy drive for the dremel and a mirror and hack my way around inside.

What do you guys think of MRZs 60mm throttle body. It looks like a direct bolt on and something to consider in order to wake up this cammed motor. Of course it will be a month or two before I actually buy it.

Here's the link: http://mrzperformance.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/55_9/products_id/17

Parts are coming tomorrow. Im sooooooooo excited!!!!!

Jarek

i believe cast can be tig welded but I'm not 100% sure. the TB isn't a bad idea but that TB looks awfully familiar. I think there are a few bolt on bigger TB from other cars that can be dremeled out and used to save a few $

Well, the engine is almost complete! I installed the bearings (main, rod), new rings, rear oil seal, oil pump, and the distributor o ring. The solid motor mount was installed on to the bracket, but not the engine. I also installed a new water pump in to the timing cover so I can quickly bolt it on when I get the cam installed. I also cleaned up some brackets like the alternator bracket, and the 2 upper engine mounts.

I am probably going to order the cam either tomorrow or next week sometime.

Here are some pics:

Jarek

yeah, you guys can stop by if you want. I think Brian has my address. Just call me first. If you send me a message saying you'll stop by, I will give you my #.

Jarek

Update-

Just ordered the cam from summit. Its the Comp Cams 260. It is on backorder. Should be here in about 3-4 weeks.

As for the throttle body and the plenum... Do you think that I can match a 60mm TB to the plenum if I hone it to 60mm using a stone honing tool that is used for glaze breaking? Its the one with the 3 pads.

If not, where and how much for a machine shop to hone it to 60mm?

Jarek

• 2 weeks later...

cool!

A hone tool will take forever to remove that much material. You could try a sanding wheel (lots of them), or a coarse grinding stone to get it as close to 60mm as you can (should be capable of 60mm)