TGP secondary cooling fan motor

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

does anyone here know if the secondary fan motor is still available from GM (or anywhere else)? i called the dealership here today, and they said it was $102.63 for just the motor itself. i'm not 100% sure they looked up the right part #, so i figured i'd check here. i just got my TGP radiator and both fans yesterday, but unfortunately the smaller fan motor is all rusty and has alot of melted plastic and stuff in it and it's pretty much locked up. also, is the small fan a pusher? (mounted in front of radiator/IC?) i'm trying to figure out how to mount it. the primary fan, radiator, and IC is no problem (i got the radiator 'hat' too), but i can't seem to locate the 3 mounting points for the smaller fan. any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

btw, so far i've managed to collect:

- TGP exhaust manifolds

- TGP crossover

- TGP radiator with hat & both electric fans

- TGP intercooler

- TGP computer (probably won't even use)

- DSM Gen-1 BOV

i'm getting there :) i still need the turbo, downpipe, oil/coolant supply & return hoses, 2-bar MAP, upper & lower intercooler pipes, and probably a few other things i can't think of right now. i'd like to get that '3.1 Intercooled Turbo' plenum but if i can't oh well. there is a junkyard Turbo STE here and hopefully that will supply the rest of the parts i need. helluva project! and this is nothing compared to trying to turbo a DOHC.

joshua

I'm not sure if the smaller fan is still available, but $102 sound right from the dealer. You should try a local parts store like AutoZone or CarQuest...they usually have them for less.

The smaller fan is a pusher, which is mounted in front of the I/C. To mount it, the motor/fan should mount to a 3-legged bracket that you mount to the body. You might have to make holes for the bracket. I'll try to take a pic of it so you know what I'm talking about.

Jason

acctually I think you could replace that motor for cheaper then the whole Fan if you needed to.

seems to me My 92 fans look the same. I imagin the polarity is different but cut the harness from the donner car, and wire it so it Pushes.

they mount the same one the bracket if I remember Correctly

Joshua...

The Primary fan is a pull fan and the secondary is a push fan. The push fan motor is a smaller motor sits in front of the IC and A/C condenser. The primary "pull" fan is the bigger SOB that sits in the engine bay side and pulls much more current. You will need to buy both the motor and new generation fan blade. The earlier fan blades and motors have a different means of mounting the fan blades to the motor shaft. The new stuff has a threaded shaft end and the old stuff was a retaining clip. It cost me $200 for fan blade and motor earlier this summer. That was my cost from GM.

Good luck... 8)

fal fans put out more cfm's, thats my next mod. I also swapped in a griffin radiator. my stock tgp radiator was messed up bad and the griffin racing units are only $189.

Guest TurboSedan

thanks for the help! my secondary fan blade is held onto the motor shaft with a reverse threaded nut, not a clip, so i guess i won't need to get a different fan? it came with the 3-legged mounting deal and pigtails coming off of it too. can i just unplug my existing secondary fan and plug it into the new secondary pusher fan? 1trucavalier - how is the new Griffin working out? did it fit right in? my TGP radiator got badly damaged in shipping and it will need to be recored :( i think i can get it recored for slightly under $200, but maybe i should just get a Griffin instead?

the griffin is an awesome creature but I had to do some modifications and is considered in no means a BOLT-ON! If you don't mind modification then its no problem. This is how they got me. the tgp radiator is 24" wide and 19" in height. My griffin is 23" in height and 19" wide so you can imagine i was cursing %#$@%#@! My a/c compressor was shot already and the rec/dryer, and pressure hose had a whole in it as did the condensor so I just removed it all. Got tons of room now. I can put a skyline intercooler in there now. I also had to use a idler pulley from a 3rd gen cavalier, belt that was 2 sizes larger, relocate the overflow, and use and opak racing filter. I don't like stock cars so I didn't mind doing modifications and no one else has these mods so its cool with me. It was also a little easier because when i first got the car i relocated my dis coils to sit on the frame beside the ecu.

no! the radiator was taller by 3 1/2" so the curve neck wouldn't clear the hood. But it was not neccesary, also v-8 radiator caps are the same size as ours so I didn't have to hunt for another. The upper hose also fit the radiator but i had to cut like 1" off it because the radiator is like 1' thicker. The lower radiator hose though was considerally larger so I just got my heat gun heated up the inside of the hose and then just stretched it on. Its been raining so I haven't been able to put in the over flow, burp the system, and give it some street runs but soon.

Guest TurboSedan

i think i'm going to see if the guy that sold me the radiator will take it back and refund the money i spent on it. he's a really nice guy (even on this forum and in e-mails), but unfortunately, he sent me the radiator, crossover, computer, fans, and radiator hat with virtually NO packing material :x :x . when i picked the box up it had a huge gaping hole where the hat poked thru. the radiator was sitting on the bottom of the box (NOTHING protecting it) and something hit the bottom causing 7 tubes to be damaged, 5 of which are ripped wide open. the small IC fan is locked up too. i would have appreciated knowing about this. the TGP ECM only had a piece of newspaper wrapped around it and i'm hoping it still works. needless to say i am NOT happy at all. the IC fan motor is a little over $100 from GM, and i might as well forget about this TGP radiator i have completely as i could probably just find another later and save money. crappy crap crapola :(

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

the interior is trashed. i have dibs on all turbo specific stuff. Jeorge has dibs on anything else he needs/wants. i will let you know. if i can get the car with a clear title than i get *ALL* and it will be restored and i will sell my CS and the turbo parts i have collected thus far. if an 'S' title...it will be parted out and my CS gets the turbo parts, *or* i will swap a 5-speed into the STE and keep it. if i don't do that the rest will go to Jeorge and others on the forum....but, the car is waiting for the owner to come up with the titlle right now. IOW, the salvage yard can't sell anything off of it right now, because they simply don't own it and they can't. i was real tempted to throw the IC pipes over the fence and pick them up after dark but i DON'T steal (oh i would never do anything like that....no no...:) ). i find it hard to believe the owner would spend $1500 or whatever paying the loan off then another $1500 fixing the turbo ecspecially when the car has a trashed interior and 111,000 miles. this thing is MINE. this is the same car i tried to buy 6 months ago but apparantly the guy didn't have the title, he moved, and it ended up in the salvage yard. it's funny, this salvage yard has practically NO w-bodies, YET they have a Turbo STE and a Brickyard Monte. i love the Turbo STE. i fricking LOVE the Turbo STE! the turbo STE is the ULTIMATE W-body as far as i'm concerned. i still can't believe i found one in a salvage yard in Gillette, WY of all places!

joshua

sorry, i'm apparantly a little cooky over the Turbo STE. yeah,....totally :)

You may be a little cooky over it but Im just plain In love with them or would that be LUST?? Hmmmm no no tailpipes for me LOL

What condition is the STE in? Any useable parts from the interior or body?

okay mister low milage STE, :wink:

what parts do you need??

I have access to some 92 GP parts and the bodies are the same.