• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CSI_MuNkY

• 19Cutlass94

• AWeb80

• pwmin

yeah I wonder what some people think when they see me serving all over the road avoiding all the holes and bumps. Cause I tell ya she doesnt like the bumps at all!

I just got stuck in a parking lot!!

I went to Canadian tire to get some detailing supplies, gas, and a car wash. When I got there all but one entrance was under construction, they had trenches dug to replace the pavement, each about 3 inches deep. While I was in the store they dug out the only open entrance!!

Lucky for me one of the guys was nice enough to fill in the holes with some gravel so I could get out of the lot.

Jamie

thats the only redeeming value the monster truck stance of the lumina. When I was in high school, in the winter I would park on snow piles that were like 1.5 feet high without fear of getting stuck. I also remember driving over a large tree branch that had just fallen across the street while delivering pizzas. SUV's didnt even try that stuff. They were probably scared of their paintjob getting damaged.

• 1 year later...

OK... rather than crowd 1Loudcutty's thread about rear col overs I'm just going to bump my own thread with an update.

As some may recall last March or so I got into a bit of a mishap with my Grand Prix where I pushed the car beyond the winter tires capabilities, lost control and hopped a curb. The rear struts took the worst of the impact. They had 4000 miles on them when I put them on the car back in August of 07. At the time of impact the strut basically blew up. It didn't cause any handling problems but I knew I had to get it out of there.

I ordered new struts and got new threaded sleeves from Summit Racing (bend over for that one!) However the sleeves wouldn't fit over the struts. At the time I didn't have the means to machine the sleeves so they just got set aside.

Fast forward to today...

I'm now in school for Industrial Maintenance Mechanic - Millwright and spend nearly 20 hours a week in the shop. So I took the sleeves and struts in and got to work.

I put the sleeves in a lathe and used a boring bar to machine them out. I took four .010" cuts and two 0.005" cuts to lower the inside diameter by .1"... Here are some pics

zz1.jpg

zz2.jpg

zz3.jpg

And the finished product...

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

For reference

The top collar on the new KYB GR2

IMG_2645.jpg

and the new ID of the sleeve

IMG_2646.jpg

Jamie

Why did you bore it so big? :mrgreen:

:confused:

It had to be bigger to fit over the other strut top, I just made both to the same specs...

That being said... those that have to bore out their sleeves, check both your struts!

Jamie

That lathe is older than anyone here!!! It was worn out when we were born!!!

I'll take pics of the older ones in class Friday!

and maybe even the brand new one too!

Jamie