AC recharge at home

Andrew

So i bought one of those ac recharge cans with an inline guage. anyway, on my l36, the only AC port i can find is right behind the airbox, but im guessing this is not the right one, as the fitting wont go on it. and i tried hard!!

so am i just SOL on doing it myself or is there a AC port that i overlooked?

its like this can on the left.

ac01-tools.jpg

Were you trying the high pressure port? It's a good thing you didn't succeed if that's the case. That's pressurized up to 200psi! I don't know if those refill cans could handle 200psi of pressure, but I wouldn't want to find out.

Nope, definately can't handle that type of pressure!

Anyways, I've use those before with great results. In fact, I'm about to check my Bonneville and Rachels 95 Regal this weekend.

it wont fit on the high pressure side the nipple is to big... the r134a recharge hose will only fit on the low side smaller nipple

welp i did it yesterday. piece o cake. i was right at 25 psi which is the lowest of being in the good region of 25-45. so i unloaded that can in it and it only went up like 5 psi, but it sure blows colder!! :high5:

What type of refrigerant does a 1995 GP SE use ? R12 or !34a?

So can someone give me a picture of where I hook the line up to? Compressor is still functioning and AC is blowing just warmer than I like :(

IIRC, it will be under/beside your airbox on the drivers side of the engine bay.

Any Pics? Also - What size bolt is that airBox bolt holding it in because I don't get the little bastard. Forgoing are we R12 or R134a?

What type of refrigerant does a 1995 GP SE use ? R12 or !34a?

So can someone give me a picture of where I hook the line up to? Compressor is still functioning and AC is blowing just warmer than I like :(

94+ use R-143A

• 1 month later...

I have a 92 gp and the person before me ripped out the condenssor in the front of the rad, so i want to replace it as well as the o-rings for all the connections. but i am not shure how to test the compressor to see if it pumps or even turns with the motor. I live in canada and we dont have these charging kits as far as i know. Where do you get them. Do they come in r12 also, or just the 134a.

Thnaks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 92 gp and the person before me ripped out the condenssor in the front of the rad, so i want to replace it as well as the o-rings for all the connections. but i am not shure how to test the compressor to see if it pumps or even turns with the motor. I live in canada and we dont have these charging kits as far as i know. Where do you get them. Do they come in r12 also, or just the 134a.

Thnaks

I see them everywhere here.

Part Source sells a version of Freeze 12 (different name though, can't remember) It's compatible with both R12 and R134a systems..FWIW

Thnaks

I see them everywhere here.

Part Source sells a version of Freeze 12 (different name though, can't remember) It's compatible with both R12 and R134a systems..FWIW

There is no refrigerant/additive that is compatible with r12 AND r134a. R12 and R134a use different types of oils, and they're way different types of refrigerants. 134a can be used in a system that was designed for r12 because their temperature-pressure relationships are almost identical. But, you need to completely remove the r12 and all of its oil before charging 134a and its oil into the system. If the two types of refrigerants and/or oils are allowed to combine, they will create an acid that will destroy your system from the inside out.

I need to figue out how to recharge my mom's Tahoe. Is everything fundamentally the same on most cars?

Yes

Only in R134a.

You *should* be able to test a compressor just by giving it 12v and a ground. IIRC, it's just a two pin connector.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but do automobile compressors have the high and low pressure switches built into the compressor? If they're built in and wired internally, putting 12V on the clutch shouldn't do anything if that low pressure switch is open. I could be wrong though.

Thnaks

Be sure to use a vacuum pump on your system before charging, you've gotta boil off any water in the system because that will react with the oil and create an acid too.

Its odd that your presure only went up a little. I bought one of those cans form walmart and it may have been a bit larger. But my ac was totally empty and it filled it right to 45psi.

But Damn the AC draws alot of current. It draws more than my 1500rms stereo does at full tilt.

Yes

Only in R134a.

You *should* be able to test a compressor just by giving it 12v and a ground. IIRC, it's just a two pin connector.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but do automobile compressors have the high and low pressure switches built into the compressor? If they're built in and wired internally, putting 12V on the clutch shouldn't do anything if that low pressure switch is open. I could be wrong though.

I've successfully tested the compressor clutch by just giving the pins 12v.

1. You cannot legally buy or sell R-12 without being certified/licensed. The good news is that the certification is super-easy.

2. My '93 Euro 3.4 has both high side and low side fittings under the air box. What moron decided that was a good place? Took about a half-pound. I bought the car a couple of years ago, and have no idea on it's service history.

3. My '92 Euro 3.4 has been in the family since late 92. I've never had to top off the refrigerant in 14+ years. Might be getting close to needing it, though.