OBD2 conversion

RobertISaar

what all will i need to convert a 95 monte ls to OBD2 so i can actually tune the motor?

i dont care for ABS, and dont have cruise control if it makes a difference.

if you could, list a good estimate on price and how hard its going to be to do this.

and are there any decent, cheap tuners out there?

i've been looking around and found megasquirt... i'd have a very wide array of stuff that i could do to tune my motor with this, right?

seems like if you messed around with it enough, it would be as reliable if not more than any factory computer. i wouldnt know how to shift an electronic transmission without the PCM either. guess they need a standalone controller or manual tranny.

For a conversion, youll need an OBDII wiring harness, all the extra sensors, the ports, computer. Sounds MUCH easier than it really is...

• 3 weeks later...

decided to bring up this idea: what all would be required to convert to OBD1? and what would i lose over my current 1.5 setup?

I'd take OBD-II over megasquirt. MS is really more of a hobbyist thing.. I wouldn't put it into something I drove every day.

Eh, I have to agree and disagree on this one. MS is a WHOLE lot more tuneable than OBDII, but it doesn't come without having to have a firm grasp on engine tuning. You would definately get more out of a MS box, but it isn't something you wanna mess with if you "sorta kinda" grasp tuning. I had MS installed in my old Probe GT. I was able to eliminate boost cut and dial in my fuel map to go from a stock 145bhp to 215bhp (I miss turbo...). Granted, this car was also a MTX so I didn't have to worry about controlling an automatic transaxle. This car was also my daily driver. Once you get everything dialed in, its just as reliable as an OEM ECM (provided your install is done in a professional manner). But I will restate once again, MS is NOT for the casual tuner. It is open ended in it configuration which means there is no "safetys". Results can range from excellent (if you know EXACTLY what you are doing) to catastophic (if you THINK you know what you are doing). My Ranger was ODBII an I was able to tune it quite nicely as well...its actually where I started learning how to tune. I would highly reccomend going OBDII over MS if this is your first try at tuning. Its a whole lot more forgiving.

alright but whats your view on going to OBD1. i dont think i'll lose anything in the process and i'll have tuning ability, which is what i'm going for.

i have OBD1 i hate it get the stuff for OBD2 from a yard and swap out

whats so horrible about it? the fact that you'd have to burn a new prom for every little change?

personally i just dont like it could be the fact that you have to relearn the idle (mine wont do it for some reason i try and try to relearn it but it wont i have to wait until it learns on its own from driving it for 1 or 2 months) that coould have something to do with it

that shouldnt be that big of an issue... you can change the idle from within the chip and the rest of the car tries to compensate for it, correct?

IMO hate it but if you wnat to fuck with it be my guest

do you happen to know what all i'll need to do it?

(yes, i'm stubborn)

he said he wants OBD2 because its tunable

I was refering to your post and the fact that you have to do an idle relearn. We had an 02 Escalade in our install bay about a month ago, and it still needed an idle relearn. Simply switching to OBDII isn't going to fix that.

he said he wants OBD2 because its tunable

X2

if the cost and complexity is the same, its really just an issue of finding the parts