Free "OBD1.5" scan software

ryan.h

where would we get a cheap ALDL cable? and would we be able to change things like idle, fuel pressure, etc. or would that be something else?

where would we get a cheap ALDL cable? and would we be able to change things like idle, fuel pressure, etc. or would that be something else?

x2

and if anyone has the chance to find out if it works on the 3.4 that would be awesome.

Jamie

plugs into your aldl port, and i had the site bookmarked where to get it, but apparently not any more :sad:

no what port on the laptop?? serial? USB? Im guessing Serial but damn dude find that cable. I WANT IT!! :)

I highly recommend getting a cable from http://www.mastach.com

They use a MAX-232 chip, which is more reliable and universal than the "two transistor" cable that the aldlcable.com link above uses. When I bought one it was like $40, so it's not terribly expensive. You can also build them yourself, but I've never made one that actually worked right. Do a search for "aldl max 232 cable" on google if you need a schematic to try....

now my question is, do we need the OBD 1 or 2 cable?? (as there is no 1.5 listed)

and I'm still curious about if this will let us do any tuning

Now just if my gfs laptop worked....

Jamie

See my link. It's an OBDI cable. This will let you take datalogs that could be used for tuning, but it won't let you change your fuel or spark timing or anything like that.

The 1.5 port is a proprietary port on the W-bodies. It has a different style connector. I remember, because I had to hunt up the frigging adapter when I used the Tech II in one of my automotive classes.

Autozone had no clue, their scan tool didn't have the proper style connector. The only consumer auto place able to scan around here has been Advance.

"OBD 1.5" ALDL connectors are the same physical connector as OBD I. I have a OBD 1.5 car closeby if I need to prove it...

Thanks for the definition file Ryan.

EDIT: I'm specifically speaking about W-body cars since that's what this board covers afterall.

PS: Someone like Ryan needs to see how the Tech II + flashing software acomplishes reflashes on OBD 1.5 PCM's and market a cheap version of it for personal/performance usage.

"OBD 1.5" ALDL connectors are the same physical connector as OBD I. I have a OBD 1.5 car closeby if I need to prove it...

Thanks for the definition file Ryan.

EDIT: I'm specifically speaking about W-body cars since that's what this board covers afterall.

PS: Someone like Ryan needs to see how the Tech II + flashing software acomplishes reflashes on OBD 1.5 PCM's and market a cheap version of it for personal/performance usage.

Mine isn't a regular OBD1 port. I know because I had to get an adapter that was different.

I'll take a pic.

Mine isn't a regular OBD1 port. I know because I had to get an adapter that was different.

I'll take a pic.

John, do you mean the pin position inside the connector or the physical connector itself? The connector in my OBD-I W's is identical to the connector in my parent's '94 Buick Regal w/ the flashable OBD-I(1.5) PCM. The Regal has a 3800 in it btw.

EDIT: I have pictures of the Regals' ALDL connector somewhere to show someone in the chatroom that the Regal had the OBD-I connector. I'll get a picture tomorrow if I can't find the ones I already had...

Never mind, you're right. I went out and looked, since I have one of each car (I, I.5 and II) and the I and 1.5 ARE the same! Which is weird, I remembered them being different shapes. So I stand corrected. :thumbsup: