New headlight idea...UPDATE:Mock-up pics what it would look like Pg4

Scottster

I'm bringing closure to an old idea here, 'cause I never posted pics of what this light would look like on the car anyway.

While I had the lights out this morning (another project in itself for another thread) I mocked up what that Saturn Vue headlight would look like in the Pontiac's headlight opening.

It would fit quite nicely with a little modification to the bracketing behind the headlights, which doesn't allow enough clearance for the housing to sink fully into the proper spot. I think this would look great, but there are little issues, such as redundant turn-signals (the Pontiac already has them on the bumper, and the saturns are contained within the headlight), the gap on the inside, closest to the nose of the car where the Pontiac's headlight opening has more "sweep" then the squared-up Saturn light...this space could be filled with a little custom made part like a blacked-out vent or something...and loosing the unique yellow fog lamps that I love about the original lighting. I suppose the gain is that the Saturn lights just make the car look that much "newer" if you could get them to fit in there properly.

I'll let the photo's speak for themselves...

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Where have all the headlights gone???

IMG_0028.jpg

Comparing the size and proportion of the stock lights to the Saturn one-piece light.

IMG_0033.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottster

• slick

• Addicted To Boost

• dohc v6

so... I assume the outer is the low, the middle in the high, and the inner is the turnsignal? convert the turn signal into a foglight!!!!

or...

covert the current turnsignal to a foglight and relocate the turn signal to the one in the new housing!!!!

The middle lens is the low beam, the high beam is the outer, and the turn signal is the inside lens...which is totally out of whack from the stock pontiac low beams being the outer most part of the light.

its pretty good match but i would stay true as well

the headlights alone arent going to make the care look all that newer, the body is still, though ahead of its time(i think) out of date

its pretty good match but i would stay true as well

the headlights alone arent going to make the care look all that newer, the body is still, though ahead of its time(i think) out of date

QFT

I was just thinking along the lines of the way BMW guys update their headlights on older models with the newer model's angel eyes, or how alot of cars in the 1990's were "modernized" with mid-cycle styling refreshes, which usually consisted of adding some more roundish trim, and clear/jeweled/reflective-optic...whatever you want to call them...headlights. For example the final year of the 2nd Gen. Taurus (before the 1996 egg restyle) they simply added the newer lights to the existing body style.

1996 Pontiac Bonneville refresh is a good example too.

• 1 month later...

i'm gonna see if i can borrow my buddy's headlights off his E36.  Does anyone know if there is a difference between 2 & 4 door ones?

BUMPAGE

I finally got under my buddies skin and borrowed his headlight

pics are below. does it look good enough to go through with spending ~$50 on just plain bmw headlights without halos or projectors? I have a mounting system figured out btw.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

sorry about the lighting in the pics. it was starting to get dark.

So....opinions?

• 6 months later...

i know this is an old post, but i didnt know whether to make a new topic or continue with this one, since my project started here.

anyway, got both headlights installed. I only have this crappy pic of it cos it was late. I guess share your opinions?

IMG_2576.jpg