New headlight idea...UPDATE:Mock-up pics what it would look like Pg4

Scottster

Yeah, those look fantastic.

Is the one on the left not completed yet? It looks a little shabby with the black housing. The drivers side light does wonders for the front of that car though.

Nice work.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottster

• slick

• Addicted To Boost

• dohc v6

I just checked out ebay for "saturn vue headlight", not expecting to find much. The search pulled up a whole bunch of them though. Most of them are "OEM replacement", which i assume means "not a GM part". The prices are resonable though. $100 each to "buy it now", or obviously less if I bid.

I am most definitly going to go ahead with this! I just can't wait for some free time this summer to do what "I" want to do! :willynilly:

Here's an example of one from Ebay...

203676646.jpg

Update...

I just won an Ebay auction for a Saturn Vue headlight! It cost me 99 cents...that's right...$0.99! :mrgreen:

It does not have the mounting bracket, and the lens has some sun damage. No problem though, as it is just a low cost way to ensure it will work on the car.

The light will just be used as a mock-up to ensure the fit, and detremine basically how it will look on the car. If all is good, then I will go ahead an buy a complete set of nice ones from one of those discount part supply websites.

Here's some pics from the auction...

d64d_1.jpg

c91c_1.jpg

Update...

I just won an Ebay auction for a Saturn Vue headlight! It cost me 99 cents...that's right...$0.99! :mrgreen:

It does not have the mounting bracket, and the lens has some sun damage. No problem though, as it is just a low cost way to ensure it will work on the car.

The light will just be used as a mock-up to ensure the fit, and detremine basically how it will look on the car. If all is good, then I will go ahead an buy a complete set of nice ones from one of those discount part supply websites.

Here's some pics from the auction...

d64d_1.jpg

c91c_1.jpg

Got a thought. How about you take the parabolic seats and form out a lexan cover that would mold exactly to the current lights? The parabolic seats are probably in perfect condition and that was the caveat in fabbing out the new lexan lights. If the fit is close, then you could compensate with the cover since that is the thing that will really be seen.

Just my 2 cents and ya can keep tha change, pardner!

In order to get a perfect fit you need to have the lenses injection molded, cost around 5000 for a prototype. The best thing to do is vacuum form a lense or mold a headlight into your car, from a different car.

I'm just gonna give you props for attempting this. At least your not insane enough to mount Toyota lights and a Mazda ground effects kit all held together with self tapping screws ... lol.

I'm just gonna give you props for attempting this. At least your not insane enough to mount Toyota lights and a Mazda ground effects kit all held together with self tapping screws ... lol.

Lol Thanks. I agree, that stuff is silly. Cars are designed as one cohesive unit...ricers don't seem to understand that and think they can build a cool car out of a catalog. :rolleyes:

Also, to address moulding a lens,

I for one, have faith at this point the Vues lights will work. I know custom fabrication is an option, but I'd rather not cause myself the trouble if the Saturn's lights achieve what I am looking for. Just to make clear, I am very discriminating when it comes to the looks of my car, and don't trust that I could do a good enough job fabing a custom lens. I want the fit and finish to be exceptional. I would not settle for it to look like ass, and am not doing this for the sake of "modding"/ pimping or what ever.

My goal is for it to look like it came out of the factory with these lights.

I did some further measurments with a carpenters protractor comparing the sweep-back angle of the GP's and Vue's lights, the angle at which the lights rake back (up into the hood), and double checked the overall dimensions for each of them.

Dimensionally they are almost identical, with the exception of the Vues lights being square on the inside, where the Pontiacs fog lights have more of a sweep to them.

I have done as much measuring as I can, and still feel they will fit nicely. This lens I bought off Ebay is in-route on US Postal truck coming out of Florida, and is an cheap insurance policy for the project.

Whatever the outcome, I will have only spent $15 (with shipping) and I will know for sure that it does or does not fit. If it doesn't, than I can forget about it without a big loss, and life goes on - but I am confident it will work at this point.

Does anyone not read my post in this thread??

Well, yes I read your post. I truely appreciate your input, however I feel the Saturns lights will work out with less modication, and give me more of the look I am going for.

BTW My first car was a 1995 Cadillac STS that was handed down to me in the family. (It's a long story how I ended up with this Pontiac) I saw those Bimmer 3-series angel eyes customized into the 1992-1997 STS and 1992+ Eldorado's. They fit perfectly into the opening of the headlight and looked great.

The problem I see with the Bimmer lights is that they are designed for a car with a flat front. The Pontiac's wedge/angled lights mean I would have to get into custom molding a lens, which like I said, I am trying to avoid.

The Beretta and Corsica guys have been doing the E36 lights for about 2 years now. You make two brackets, and your done. You don't have to get the ones with the HID's and all that BS, just causes more wiring headaches. You can get E36 lamps that have normal bulb bases on them.

I'll get some pictures of the E36's mounted. The Beretta's have just the same amount of slanted front end as the GP's do.

Does anyone not read my post in this thread??

not that it matters for my car, but do they make any that arent angel eyes? i hate angel eyes (except for the ace of base song, lol).

Well, the Saturn light just arrived. Not that it matters though, as I won't have much time over the next few weeks to mess around with it.

I'll update the thread when I do.

Btw, the lights on the corsica look much more vertical than the GP's. Not to mention narrower.

Wow those look good. Anyone got an install how on thsoe. I dont ahve a barretta but it would be interesting to see how they made them attach to the car.

I'll see if I can find any. They Beretta lights are almost the exact same size as the Lumina lights.