How do I swap in a DOHC sway bar?

AWeb80

i'm gonna do one last suspension mod and that is put teh DOHC 34 mm bar in front....how do I do it?

I can do the rear susp. in my sleep. The front....I know nothing about...

I'm gonna do the engergy susp. poly bushings too

I was looking at mine today, it looks pretty easy. I think you can do it with out dropping the subframe. I think there is only 4 brackets holding it in place. Seems to have a bit of room on my 3.1 MPFI.

I upgraded from the basic bar to the fe3 typical standard bar on my 92 lumina. you need to drop the rear of the frame just a bit.

is that gonna mess up my alignment....and should i replace the subframe bolts while i'm there?

..any other bushings?

I upgraded from the basic bar to the fe3 typical standard bar on my 92 lumina. you need to drop the rear of the frame just a bit.

is that gonna mess up my alignment....and should i replace the subframe bolts while i'm there?

..any other bushings?

I replaced one bolt..... But only cause I broke it!

the only think I replaced were the frame to bar rubber bushings cause they changed size, beyond that, it would be preferable to use the stronger two piece baket used on some cars. you'll notice they have a palte visble on the under side of the frame, and nuts you must remove from above the frame. the one peice bolt/unbolt right thru the frame from below. make sense?

..any other bushings?

You shouldn't

I would check the bolts first and the bushings. If you need to replace them they are easy.

Again looking at mine, I was even thinking about cleaning up my control arms. Still it looks like there is enough room. I'll take pics once my bro gets back with our digi cam.

Ok, since my narrow ass drive doesnt allow me to take out the bar. From sliding it from the drivers side, the brake and gas lines get in the way. You can do it from the other side cause theres nothing in the way. I just cant try cause I dont have a wide enough drive way.

Ok, since my narrow ass drive doesnt allow me to take out the bar. From sliding it from the drivers side, the brake and gas lines get in the way. You can do it from the other side cause theres nothing in the way. I just cant try cause I dont have a wide enough drive way.

Pwned by a narrow driveway! I was unable to do it on my 92 lumina, if you drop the frame about 1 to 2 inches, it gives you sufficient clearance!

Pwned by a narrow driveway! I was unable to do it on my 92 lumina, if you drop the frame about 1 to 2 inches, it gives you sufficient clearance!

Patgizz tells me that all you need to do is remove teh front wheels and wiggle it and it'll come out....

Patgizz tells me that all you need to do is remove teh front wheels and wiggle it and it'll come out....

oh? I have two to do

How do you actually drop the frame though? I see 2 bolts with round rubber bushings. And I have both my front wheels off. What I'm thinking is, it will be easier to remove the smaller bar, but installing the new 34mm bar you will might have to drop the frame. I just gotta find out how to do it, and where to jack it up now.

first break both bolts loose with the car fully on the ground. preferable on it's own wheels before you start.

You will want to support the body... then place a hydraulic jack centered under the rear of the frame, and jack it up so it shares the load with the body support. take the tires off if you must. etc etc. remove the bolts, then allow the frame to drop slightly. be warned, you can break something under the hood, such as the heatercore connector lines if you allow it to drop too far so watch your lines and go slow. I needed about 2 inches of drop to gain appropriate clearance...

I got a car lift i can use...woot.

no jacks for me.

How do you plan on supporting the cradle while it's on the lift? Trans jack?

no jacks for me.

I'll figure that out from there....depends if I have to losen the cradle bolts or take them all the way out...

i'll figure it out....and take pics if I can.

its gonna be 3-4 weeks till I do it though.

no jacks for me.

Get a 2x4 about 7 feet long. Raise the vehicle all the way up, then stand the 2x4 up right in the center of the rear cradle crossmember, and have someone lower the car onto it until there is just enough weight on it to hold it from falling over. Then undo the rear cradle bolts, and tap the button to raise the car just enough. Make sure not to lower it so much you pull out the steering coupler. I know you can do the 34mm sway bar this way on 3100/4T60E cars easily.

Good Luck;p

• 11 years later...

Strangely tapatalk just directed me this thread notifying me of a recent post. Not the case. But I've never taken an exit ramp so fast in a w than in awebs white gp[emoji869]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk