How to lower a W-Body ( Gen 1, Gen 1.5 )

19Cutlass94

I've read that thread multiple times and spent hours searching and could not find a specific answer I was looking for. I know they are half gen which is why I was confused, I did find the arraut motorsports coilovers that will fit a 1.5 gen http://www.arrautmotorsports.com/parts/w-body. I did take a lot from your write up for lowering springs before i decided coilovers.

Rear coilovers for a gen 2 w bodie are a direct bolt in for a 95-99 monte/lumina

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiosity do you know this for sure? I'm trying to mount a rear strut bar on my 96 lumina and have been trying to find out for sure if these mounting brackets will fit.

http://drcustomparts.com/HomePage.htm

I have gmpp rear struts with intrax springs that i pulled off a 2000 gtp on my 97 monte. I also got a rear stb off the same gtp.. ....brackets fit but i had to narrow the bar itself like 3 or 4 inches

I know this is an old post and would hope y'all see this, but I just have a quick questions about the coil springs for the first gen lumina coilovers. Would the diameter for the springs (2.5") be the inside or outside diameter?

I know this is an old post and would hope y'all see this, but I just have a quick questions about the coil springs for the first gen lumina coilovers. Would the diameter for the springs (2.5") be the inside or outside diameter?

Inside

still lookin to see if anyone has modified the rear towers of a 1st gen to allow gen 2 3 stud struts to work..im gonna cut holes if i cannot find anyone who has done it.want to know the ride quality and noise factors of swapping.

so went to the boneyard today and investigated the rear of a 1.5 and gen 2 w to see what would be needed to swap.kinda looks like there is not enough room in the strut tower to fit a 3 bolt design in,without cutting the towers off a 1.5 or 2 and welding them in.im gonna do a little more investigating,but its looking more like im gonna have to piece together a coilover setup for the existing struts.

so went to the boneyard today and investigated the rear of a 1.5 and gen 2 w to see what would be needed to swap.kinda looks like there is not enough room in the strut tower to fit a 3 bolt design in,without cutting the towers off a 1.5 or 2 and welding them in.im gonna do a little more investigating,but its looking more like im gonna have to piece together a coilover setup for the existing struts.

I test fit some intrigue struts on a 92 lumina(actually the same lumina i got ur vents from lol) and though it was a lil bit tighter there was plenty of room

hmm i used a mount to see and it looks like the newer ones angle into the tower vs just straight up/down as mine appear.im gonna have to do some more test fitting at the junkyard when its warm so i can snap pictures etc....being snowy,windy and just downright miserable i have little ambition to do such tasks.

• 3 years later...
44 minutes ago, Xore said:

All these are discontinued, anything new..I just got a 93 z34 auto. Want to drop it at least 2in. But I cant find anything..I need help. Thank you

Welcome.  Is your Z34 white by chance?  Post up some pics in the new members section and tell us a little about it.  

http://www.w-body.com/topic/47477-lowered-the-front-of-my-cutty/ is a good place to start for the front.  I used this on my first wbody and am getting ready to do it to my second one.

https://www.w-body.com/topic/55347-lowered-the-rear-of-my-cutty/ shows the parts list needed for building coil overs for the rear.  Getting ready to do this again too, but this time I'm going to take more pics and provide a more detailed write-up.  It's super easy.

3 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

Welcome.  Is your Z34 white by chance?  Post up some pics in the new members section and tell us a little about it.  

http://www.w-body.com/topic/47477-lowered-the-front-of-my-cutty/ is a good place to start for the front.  I used this on my first wbody and am getting ready to do it to my second one.

https://www.w-body.com/topic/55347-lowered-the-rear-of-my-cutty/ shows the parts list needed for building coil overs for the rear.  Getting ready to do this again too, but this time I'm going to take more pics and provide a more detailed write-up.  It's super easy.

Could you specifically take plenty of pictures with how they are mounted to the strut towers? I'm strongly considering giving the rear of my 96 Coil Overs and I want to make sure I get that absolutely right.

Edited by Amanita

10 hours ago, Amanita said:

Could you specifically take plenty of pictures with how they are mounted to the strut towers? I'm strongly considering giving the rear of my 96 Coil Overs and I want to make sure I get that absolutely right.

Sure will.  Just FYI, the stock top mounts are reused on the coil overs so they bolt up with the same two bolts.

What I really want to photograph is the removal of the monoleaf.  Maybe even take a video of the releasing of the tension on it.   

52 minutes ago, Imp558 said:

You guys know about these right? They're beautiful,  I have a full set.

I'd like to get a set for the front in the future. How have those treated you? Do you have a parts list for what you used?

Edited by Amanita

My suspension is from space, custom a-arms to allow second gen spindles and stuff. A bunch of shit you probably don't want to deal with.

The quality of Jarek's mounts is outstanding, just holding one is awe inspiring.

It's not in yet so I can't comment on the performance and durability but I'm going to start that swap this month.

31 minutes ago, Imp558 said:

My suspension is from space, custom a-arms to allow second gen spindles and stuff. A bunch of shit you probably don't want to deal with.

The quality of Jarek's mounts is outstanding, just holding one is awe inspiring.

It's not in yet so I can't comment on the performance and durability but I'm going to start that swap this month.

I'm looking at getting some new KYB struts for the rear soon (part number is 236003), I'd be able to use those with these mounts right? I'd hate to have to buy a new set in order to use them. Also I'm looking forward to seeing the results of that swap, good luck!

Edited by Amanita

KYB AGX struts are a bizarre diameter. You have to tell Jarek so he can accommodate the shaft and then buy an odd size sleeve and seat that don't quite fit unless you put some tape or something on the strut first.

I wanted those front and rear so I had a-arms modified to put second gen struts up front since they don't have a cartridge option.

If you look around there's a thread I updated regarding poly bushings in the A-arms too.

20190201_133238.jpg

When you get the swap done, can you tell me how well it handles compared to beforehand with the monoleaf? While it would be loads more convenient to raise/lower the car with coil-overs, since I want to autocross mine I'm wondering if it could possibly be a downgrade to give it those in the rear instead of ordering a custom leaf spring.

An old member who I suspect was coilover patient 0 once said his Regal handled better before the coilovers.

I figure on trying some different weight springs if it's not what I want.

I went a little o Debora’s on my springs when I did mine, but I’m super happy with the result. It’s also not a dad, so even better. My 06 I just went with drop springs (which obviously aren’t available for a 1g) and for a dd it’s perfect.

Edit: o Debora’s = overboard, dad = dd

1 hour ago, Imp558 said:

An old member who I suspect was coilover patient 0 once said his Regal handled better before the coilovers.

I figure on trying some different weight springs if it's not what I want.

Thanks for letting me know, Maybe I'd be better off then sticking to the leaf spring in the back.