I want to Paint my Wheels (check page 5 Done!)

ns87

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ns87

• AWeb80

• J

• Psych0matt

Top Posters In This Topic

1000 and then 2000 if you can......

I can do that on the silver paint and then clear on top of that?

Or should I do 1000 on the paint, and 2000 on the clear?

Thanks everyone else

Idk what to do. I tried wetsanding with 1500 and it went straight through the paint.

So I bought more duplicolor paint and started painting again. Now there is pollen stuck to my fresh paint :neutral:

This project is feeling pretty hopeless. I have nowhere indoors to paint, and I really would rather have the wheels done now since I can't paint at my apartment this summer.

:confused: I'll keep ya'll updated

wow....1500 should have never went through the paint....it must have been REALLY thin....

or too much pressure with the paper... when you're sanding, you want to remember to let the paper do the work for you, you're just agitating it.

I think it was a combo of too much pressure and too little paint. The griot's kit only gave two cans, and I did very very thin coats. I'm going to try wetsanding tomorrow again. Wish me luck. Thanks for sticking with me guys

I had my buddy who is a bit more body&paint work savvy come over and help me wetsand. The pollen actually brushed right off with no damage to the paint. I was definately pressing too hard before.

We feathered the 1500 grit (with lots of water of course!) at 45 degree angles along the spokes and inside the spokes. It got rid if the "gritty, powdery" texture. I tried to find 2000grit with little luck at Advance, Autozone, or my local hardware store :confused:

The paint is still a little thin inside the spokes, but you'd really have to be looking for it.

Other thoughts: The duplicolor paint is much better than the Griots. Doesn't splatter, has more metalic flake, goes on lighter, etc. Oh well. :lol: The wheels should look like a 9/10 when I'm done.

Pictures: Anytime after 3pm, the camera washes out all the images. Sorry.

100_1482.jpg

100_1484.jpg

100_1483.jpg

100_1485.jpg

100_1486.jpg

100_1487.jpg

Clearcoat on Friday (hopefully), then statically balanced after the weekend!

The thing I really liked about the Duplicolor was all the sparklies - It looks more like aluminum than aluminum! The clearcoat will make it look Really nice!

This is with two cans of clear. I'm going to buy a third, duplicolor clearcoat tomorrow for the ultimate finished look.

The light scratches are from the wirebrush I used to remove paint. Didn't block sand over that as much as I should have. Learn from experience I guess.

They're a good "5 footer", which is fine by me bc my car is a "10 footer", and the wheels were "20 footers" before :lol:

100_1488.jpg

100_1490.jpg

100_1492.jpg

Fourth wheel came out blurry, sorry!

Done. Duplicolor > Griots Garage. And cheaper too! Going to get them balanced tomorrow and I'll throw them on sometime next week. Let the paint cure for a while.

100_1493.jpg

100_1494.jpg

100_1495.jpg

Camera washed the color out a bit. They're a light silver, not white :lol:

I mounted them, they look nice. Anyway, what's a good polish to use on the clear coat? I don't think wet sanding will do the trick, they just look like they need a good buff. I'll take some pics later, I'm doing the transmission fluid right now

I mounted them, they look nice. Anyway, what's a good polish to use on the clear coat? I don't think wet sanding will do the trick, they just look like they need a good buff. I'll take some pics later, I'm doing the transmission fluid right now

Ive always had good results with Mothers products. So how many cans did you end up using including clear?

1 can of primer, Three cans of paint, two and a half cans of clear. 5 spokes really need to be stood up when you paint though. I would paint right above them and nothing would get inside the spokes. Had I known that from the beginning, I would have probably used more primer.