I want to Paint my Wheels (check page 5 Done!)

ns87

You'll like the gunmetal/graphite. That's what I did. I'm not a fan of the white...sorry.

Haha, I went with metalic silver.

holy thread bump! lol

Yeah Yeah :wink:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ns87

• AWeb80

• J

• Psych0matt

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take the wheel weights off and then paint and rebalance afterwards.

It looks like you spent a good amount of cash on the paint, Griots=High quality but expensive.

Do it right the first time and you will be much happier.

I would most definiatly get them media blasted and take the weights off.

Nice color choice! :thumb:

Oh and can someone qoute this so he can read it. :lol: :lol:

haha, if I hit reply I can read what you say wildbill. :lol:

wildbill.jpg

That is a good idea about rebalancing after the paint. I was stuck in a "static balance or rim weights" frame of mind. If you had to guess, how much roughly would media blasting cost? I unfortunately don't know anyone with a blast cabinet.

My roommate just painted the wheels on his fiance's Jeep Liberty. It came out pretty good. That got me thinking... Going along the theme of better-fying my Regal on a budget, I picked up some wheel paint and clear from the parts store. I decided to go with graphite color which should be interesting. After cleaning the crap out of the wheels, I'll scuff them up with scotch brite pad and paint away.

Post pics when you are done with yours. I'm interested in seeing how they come out. :smile:

Mine are graphite as well. I got the Dupli-Color stuff from Autozone. It went on nice, I didn't clear it...they say you aren't supposed to. It seems durable enough, but I do have a few knicks from pulling lug nuts and stuff. I wish I would have baked it.

Hmmm, I might try this on my spokes, unless I can find someone to powdercoat. (on my 19"s, that is)

there is a guy up here that powercoats and is cheap....like $50/wheel for 18s, and $65/wheel for 19"-22"

• 1 month later...

So I've taken the 5 Spokes off and replaced them with the old ugly 15inchers. Anyway:

Anyone know how to remove the wheel weights?

I'm gonna call some tire places tomorrow and see how much they want to do it. I also found the removal tool online for ~$30 shipped

Can you guys elaborate on the procedure? I've scrapped up the weight a bit, but thats about it

Its not rocket science

:cry: I've never put a weight on the wheel, so I'm having a hard time seeing how to get it off. Do I pull (out toward the tire) on that little tab and pull the weight off? I have 3 channel lock plyers, but they all seem way to big for the job

wheel-weight.jpg

Grab the wheel weight on the top and bottom with the pliers, and push down. Essentially what you want to do is pull the tab that's sitting on the lip outward. Not hard. They just hammer those things on. Since you're repainting them I wouldn't worry about scratching them.

Can you guys elaborate on the procedure? I've scrapped up the weight a bit, but thats about it

Its not rocket science

Well since it's not hard fucking tell him. I don't know how to do it, I'd bet Kenny and I aren't the only ones here who don't know how :roll:

Real easy guys! :biggrin:

1) I got a strong thin bladed flat head screw driver

2) I wedged the corner under where the weight lip touches the rim lip.

3) Twist the screw driver lightly and repeat on the other side. You're essentially twisting the weight off

4) Weight pops right off with minimal if zero scratching

5) Cry because you need to have your wheels rebalanced :lol:

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. My digital camera has gone missing.

Thanks jmoore4294, what you said made everything click

I have a few more bondo spots to sand down. The prep work is a real pain, but it will definitely be worth it in the end.

100_1463.jpg

100_1469.jpg

100_1465.jpg

100_05243.jpg

This is how the one wheel looked the day I bought them. Lots of curb rash. I mean the outer lip was destroyed in spots

It took about 5 or 6 different applications of bondo. I used a plastic fork wrapped around sand paper to help smooth the lip end closest to the tire. I hope this looks halfway decent with paint applied

100_1464.jpg

(Same Wheel)

100_1467.jpg

How I'm rolling until these are done :lol:

Now come here and redo my CS 5 spokes on my van...

Nooooo too much work :willynilly:

100_1473.jpg

100_1474.jpg

This is pre-clearcoat. I'd love to recommend this kit, but Griots managed to discontinue it. I can still buy the clear coat, and the primer, but not the paint??? :confused: It could use a third coat of paint, but whatever (can't buy it now). Its looks better than before

I'm gonna wetsand Monday. What grit do you guys recomend?

I'm using Dupi-color's wheel paints (aluminum and clearcoar) for a different project and I'm really happy with the results! I guess that tid-bit is too late now for you...

I'm surprised that you masked out the olds logo as opposed to painting the whole thing and then dropping red into the dugouts after...

looking good though!