!!!!Steering column smoking!!!!!!help!!

cutlass42

The smoking is due to excess di-electric grease in your turn signal that got a little hot in there- don't worry about it- it should quit smoking soon. It is not harmful to the car or yourself in any way. ;)

I'm gonna go with a short on this one. My friend had this happen in his prelude and his car just completely shit a birck after that happened.

Oh yeah, next time you start a post, may I suggest using ONLY punctuation marks. Other than that, welcome to the forum!

It's the excess dielectric grease- for a fact. I believe it was a GM TSB also. VERY common on W-bodies.

yep x2.. wont last forever. I thought mine would, but it smoked constantly for a 30+ minute trip one day, smoked non stop. then just stopped and didnt smoke again til i got my Ts switch replaced

I had to replace the TS switch in 2 w-bodies because they were SHORTING OUT!!!

This was causing the smoking, not Di-Electric grease.

smoking when new might be grease. but at this age when they start smoking... the switch is bad.

it seems that when they wear out the little nubs that prevent the contact 'fingers' of the mechanism from contacting both contacts as the switch is moved have worn away enough that the finger touches two contacts at the same time. this heats and melts the plastic of the TSS. It is instant death and means you need a new switch. It took me less than ten minutes in a parking lot to change mine... but I have all the parts on hand when it started fuming unexpectedly... including a good used switch.

smoking when new might be grease. but at this age when they start smoking... the switch is bad.

it seems that when they wear out the little numbs that prevent the 'fingers' of the mechanism have worn away enough that the finger touches two contacts at the same time. this heats and melts the plastic of the TS. It is instant death and means you need a new switch.

The Ultimate Oldsmobile guru has spoken!! :biggrin:

The first time my dad and I ever noticed the column smoking in my GP was like 1993. It worked fine until 2003. They have nothing to do with eachother.

Shaun.....the cutty did it to me one when i started it....lol

ME TOO. nothing to do with gease, mine was shorting out.

I noticed when I replaced my TSS this fall, the old one was FULL of grease...whilst the new switch had a slight coating, but nothing extremely gooped on, like my old switch had!

On of the contacts busted off my old switch somehow hahaha

most likely it is definately a short in there. unless it is brand new and there is too much grease ihighly doubt it is burning grease on an original. I have done about 6 of those switches whether it be with or without SWRC. They commonly go bad. :mrgreen:

OK, let's ponder this for a minute. If it is the grease, then WHY is the grease smoking?

Because the damn switch is getting HOT from a short! Di-electric grease does not just smoke on its own.

So technically it's both. Smoky grease caused by a high temp short in the switch.

The early factory switches are shit, prone to shorts.