Swapping gauge cluster of a '04 LS Monte with a SS one.

MonteCarloMan

I am curious about this mostly cause I would love to have the extra gauges. Now I know on my older car, a 2000 dodge stratus if you swapped gauge clusters in those cars the car's computer stored the info like any idiot lights that were on and the current odometer readings before the swap. If i were to swap the LS cluster for a SS would it store the similar settings, currently my car has a CHECK ENGINE light lit (need a new O2 sensor) and the mileage is at 114K. and for the swap itself, is it simply a plug and play or will the extra gauges be disabled? I also noticed that the SS speedo goes up to 160, mine goes to 120 will that not make a difference, its not as if i plan on going over 120 in the car :razz:.

I believe your milege will not be stored in the cars computer, but rather it stays with the guage cluster. Which means whatever the milage of the SS guage cluster you get, it will maintain when you put it in your car. Also, I believe that you will have to recalibrate your speedometer because of the number difference. If you are looking at adding more guages, have you considered adding a guage pod? This is what I am planning on doing someday.

His car, being OBD2 should keep the miles stored in the computer. It should be a pretty straight foward swap in. I dont know about the guages thou, older cars you had to swap out sensors for idiot lights to guages, not sure if thats the case anymore...