TGP rear suspension

Addicted To Boost

Okay I need to do something major with the rear end on my TGP. My rear leafspring is cracked and both rear struts are seized up, so the rear end is essentially solid- NO REAR SUSPENSION MOVEMENT WHATSOEVER!

So, the options I'm looking at right now are:

A. put a birchmount leafspring in it with new KYB struts.

B. buy coilovers from FFP, with KYB struts

What do u guys think I should do?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• 97loudcut

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

I got the same problem with my 89 gp. Im going KYB Struts, MOOG Front Springs, and maybe a stock rear leaf from GM.

I pick (A). My reason is because when you change to coilovers on the 1st design suspension, the parts may fail prematurely. Those parts aren't made to withstand the pressure of the added spring. This design is also made to have less unsprung weight which gives you better, more predictable handling.

Has anybody put rear coilovers into their 1st gen? What parts do I need, other than the coils and struts to do this complete conversion?

I am looking for a little better ride- I've HEARD that the birchmount rear leafs are super stiff, even bouncy, so I kinda want to avoid those if at all possible.

What parts do I need, other than the coils and struts to do the FFP conversion?

?

what is the website for the birchmount spring?

I have someone I can get a Birchmount from. Not sure what the site is.

If I end up going with the coilovers, I will be doing the complete set on this link: http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/coilovers.html

What other parts do I need to do the conversion?

Like loudcut said... thats all you need, you can even buy the kit with the modified strut housings.

I plan to put front and rear coil overs on my car this summer, I'm going with the kits made by Held Motorsports myself, only because they are the only ones that make a front coil over kit for these cars. FFPs site has said for quite some time that they are working on front coil overs, don't know whats going on there.

Jamie

I guess I haven't really read up on the coliovers much yet- so are you guys saying that with this kit- coilovers and struts, I can take the leafspring OUT of my car and have fully independent rear suspension? Please correct me if I'm wrong- I'm just trying to understand this.

thanks everyone

Thats right...

When you install the coil overs you completely remove the leaf spring, theres no need for it. So yeah, I guess it would be independant.

Not to mention you will also have a bit of ride height adjustability. Another reason I am going with the Held parts is because Held will include springs with a rating of your choice. The FFP ones are just whatever they feel like giving you to the best of my knowledge (I could be wrong)

Jamie

I guess I haven't really read up on the coliovers much yet- so are you guys saying that with this kit- coilovers and struts, I can take the leafspring OUT of my car and have fully independent rear suspension? Please correct me if I'm wrong- I'm just trying to understand this.

thanks everyone

The leafspring was already fully independent. The fact that it's clamped down solidly in the middle means each side can articulate independently of the other. I don't know if you were implying it wasn't, but it's a common misconception that the rear leaf is not independent when it very much is.

Personally, I like the ride height of the TGP as it sits. If my monoleaf fails, I will just replace it with one from the bone yard.

Keep in mind, your mono leaf is old and probably somewhat worn out, a new one in all likelyhood will make the car sit higher

Jamie

Personally, I like the ride height of the TGP as it sits. If my monoleaf fails, I will just replace it with one from the bone yard.

Keep in mind, your mono leaf is old and probably somewhat worn out, a new one in all likelyhood will make the car sit higher

Jamie

True, but the Bircmont and the other one are lowering springs. I dont want my car lower than it already is. I dont want to rip off my valance (when I get one installed) just because I want it lower. Not to mention the car is already hard for me to get in and out of. And I need a valance for the tranny cooler :lol: .

Alright guys- I'm leaning toward the coilovers, not only because I can get rid of my cracked monoleaf, but because of the adjustability. I don't wanna go to Birchmount, because I'd like to keep a stock ride height or MAYBE 1" lower. Birchmounts are like 2"-2.5" IIRC. I don't want it to be low- I'd like close to stock. Right now, with my rear suspension the way it is, both of my rear struts are seized, and the rear end is up almost as high as it can go- that is where it is frozen. I think that maybe just a hair lower in the rear would look good. My fronts are shot, so it looks as if my front end is already lowered a bit lol. no joke :lol:

I'll post a side shot of the way it looks later so you guys can see what I mean.

Can I get coilovers that are the same, if not VERY close to the stock ride height? I love the height of the TGP in my sig, but I could go for 1" lower all around. (looking at sig pic)

Coil overs will have height adjustability. It will take some tinkering and perfecting once you get them installed. But, once they are in you will be able to raise and lower the car by rotating the lower spring mount, the mount is on a threaded sleeve to allow you to raise or lower the car. I think the FFP one has 5" of adjustability, not sure how much of that is useable though.

Jamie

The FFP coilovers have 6" of height adjustment, in which you can use the full 6". Thats the great thing about coilovers, is you can match the front no matter what you do to it. Unless your going for an xtreme 4x4 look.....

No extreme 4X4 look :lol: I'm not a fan of super lowering. Tasteful lowering like 1" would be fine with me. Can I run stock ride height with the coilovers?

No extreme 4X4 look :lol: I'm not a fan of super lowering. Tasteful lowering like 1" would be fine with me. Can I run stock ride height with the coilovers?

Yep, you just have to find the right location for the adjuster screw, may require jacking the car up and down a few times to turn the screws, I have my doubts it would be good for them to turn the adjuster screw with a load on it.

Jamie

If you try to turn the lower spring mount with a load on it, youll kill the threads and kill your coilovers.

Thats what I thought...

So yeah, it may just take some time to find the right ride hieght for you.

If stock is what you want, why not take a measurement from the center of the hub to the lip of the wheel well or another referance point before you take off the old parts? then all you would have to do is get the coil overs on and line the hub up to that same measurement. No ned to jack the car up and down trying to perfect it. Likewise, if you want it an inche lower, the hub will be 1 inch higher into the wheel well.

Someone please correct me if this is impossible, but it sound logical to me!

Jamie